Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

vwb2022 t1_j4v4vcc wrote

I am not a physicist, but after reading the paper this seems like less of a breakthrough than they imply. Basically the process (as I understand it) is that they measure the energy state of qubit A, transmit that information to a different quantum computer containing qubit B, transmit the energy needed to excite qubit B into the same state as qubit A and finally exciting the qubit B into the same state as qubit A.

From the title, I was expecting some sort of an entangled energy transfer rather than what looks like an information transfer. This does not appear to be the case. Maybe someone who is more proficient in quantum physics can confirm if this is right.

Thatingles t1_j4vfhej wrote

I can't tell if they have done something really clever or really banal....I think they are saying that the energy is locked into a transfer between two entangled objects, but they I'm not sure they have distinguished between 'matched' and 'locked'. Hopefully someone smarter comes along and rescues us.

cjboffoli t1_j4w9ynj wrote

> this seems like less of a breakthrough than they imply.

Isn't hyperbole a prerequisite of most science reporting?

PopePiusVII t1_j4vxphv wrote

Is that kind of quantum transfer of information instant? Wouldn’t that allow for faster-than-light communication?

warplants t1_j4yc6kf wrote

No, nothing in quantum mechanics allows for FTP communication, full stop. If you ever find yourself asking this, you can safely assume the answer is ‘no’.

IceColdPorkSoda t1_j4ykm2p wrote

Doesn’t this also imply that qubit B would release an equivalent amount of energy when it relaxes? So if you had qubit on earth you could entangle them with qubits on mars, pump energy into the earth qubits and get energy release on mars?

tmp04567 t1_j4zmmi8 wrote

i don't understand quantum physics nor the related maths (way way above my head currently); but science bitch §§§

Pretty useful for information transmission, energy & thermodynamics, space tech i guess (eh you can use a microwave using that fancy science to heat food without understanding precisely how everything works on theory side). And lotsa other topics