Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

OwlBeneficial2743 t1_j9v28z5 wrote

Your post is a lot less fun than a global conspiracy between governments and companies to keep fat cats rich and workers poor or some such cliche’d nonsense. I’d also add that it’s harder for traditional managers to measure the performance of their people unless they’re in something like sales or piecework where there are objective and visible metrics. And all the talk and hype around quiet quitting (which may not exist or have changed) doesn’t help.

BoysenberryLanky6112 t1_j9v554x wrote

Meh I'm a data scientist, my work is very non quantifiable it's basically "hey look at all these mountains of data we have and come up with things that can make us money". But still every year I have a performance review where I write up all the things I've done and ways I've helped the company, and they ask some of the people I've done projects for to rate how I did with their requests and requirements and customer service. And that's what they use to measure our performance, not how hard we work or whether we work long hours. And then on top of that I have a weekly check-in with my manager where I discuss all the things I'm working on, my progress, anything I need from them, and any feedback they have for me or I have for them (obviously the former is more important since they can fire me I can't fire them, but good managers will ask for feedback from their reports so they can improve as well). If a manager can't use all of those tools and instead relies on how many hours someone is in a physical office (the online equivalent would be checking if their slack status is away or something), they're just plain a shit manager.