Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

94746382926 t1_j7v4gre wrote

The IEA has long history of greatly underestimating the adoption of renewables. To the point where I question if the Oil lobby influences their reports. Every single year they revise their estimates and they're always an underestimate. We are currently way above their best case predictions from 5 or 10 years ago. For some reason they always try to model the growth as a linear graph when it has clearly been following an S curve for quite some time now.

goodsam2 t1_j7vltou wrote

Today we are past their best scenarios in like 50 years. The report is honestly baffling. it's also been like that for a decade.

https://rameznaam.com/2020/05/14/solars-future-is-insanely-cheap-2020/

dontpet t1_j7vt028 wrote

The article includes this quote.

>“For many years the IEA earned the reputation of vastly underestimating renewable energy growth,” he said, “so there might be a tendency to bend over backwards and err on the side of exuberant optimism.”

Did they give inflated electrons this time? The report itself says

>Our outlook for 2023 to 2025 shows that renewable power generation is set to increase more than all other sources combined, with an annualised growth of over 9%.

I get confused at that point not knowing if they mean any of three things.

9% growth in energy output annually

9% growth of installation of equipment compared to the previous year

9% growth of equipment from the previous accumulated

Anyway, hope they have vastly underestimated as usual. Every time I look into their assumptions they did a significant bias toward minimal growth.

Yesterday I looked at their projections for our mining and minerals needs for example and they were so pessimistic and already demonstrably wrong.