Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Semifreak t1_j7veuip wrote

That's just 3 years. I'm wondering about what will happen in 30 years. And even 30 years is not really that long.

The speed of progress is astonishing. So much will change and happen in 2050 it is ridiculous...ridiculously awesome, that is!

stevey_frac t1_j7yrqu9 wrote

I'm hoping we get inexpensive A SMB reactors, or supercritical geothermal borehole tech going.

Semifreak t1_j7yt9rr wrote

Now we're talking!

Maybe even break the fusion power challenges. Re0designing much more efficient experimental tools for research from medicine to space studies. Way better batteries, too.

The sky's the limit!

Rofel_Wodring t1_j7zlah5 wrote

Expect commercially viable fusion at the end of this decade. Maybe not an actual plant that provides your home power (though there will definitely be viable near-term plans to do so) but unless I've been the wrongest I've been about anything in my life this decade will be the last decade of that stupid nuclear fusion joke.

Semifreak t1_j818tqo wrote

Things are certainly looking up. MIT will run a test in 2025 with their 'mini' sized reactor (tiny magnets). ITER in 2035. And there is a third company using plasma instead of magnets I read about but I forget when their test run will be.

Of course it will be decades till actual homes run on actual fusion plants power after a successful 'proof of concept' from at least ITER or maybe MIT, but at least we can know for sure if fusion is doable or not in just a decade or so.

Also, 'decades' is not a long time, really. Nuclear power plants were first suggested in 1941 and the first commercial one started in 1957. I think even skeptics don't have a problem imagining fusion power would be real by 2100. The question is how soon can we get it working- if we can, just to keep an open mind. After all, everything is vaporware till it happens.

Let's just hope governments can streamline the paperwork and fix the crazy, crazy, 'over head' and 'manager' costs to speed things up.There is a SINGLE public toilet in San Fran that is costing 1.7 million USD to build. California's high speed rail costs as much as the International Space Station (which costs its weight in gold due to the cost of delivering something to space).

Today, building a nuclear power plant to take up to 7 years or more and that is because all of the red tapes and permits...

But maybe the public will get excited for fusion once it is proven commercially feasible and pressure lawmakers to get it rolled out faster. After all, it seems the talk about favoring clean energy is growing by the year.