Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Viper_63 t1_j7vhyxd wrote

>You basically need to invent a global conspiracy for that to make sense.

The consensus in those circles seems to be that environmental groups/"the greens"/[party or group of choice you don't like] where all funded by the fossil fuel industry and the Soviet Union Russia to make nuclear look bad. I shit you not that what's I've seen people arguing on this subreddit.

no bro nuclear would totally be economic and viable if we would just poured more funds into it. Trust me bro, the key to making nuclear finally work is to build smaller and less efficient plants.

Like, have you actually looked at the subsidies nuclear has received? Granted this is nearly a decade old, but it's not like the situation has changed all that much:

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/nuclear-power-still-not-viable-without-subsidies#ucs-report-downloads

It's not like we haven't already established that 100% renewables is viable:

>Recent studies show that a global transition to 100% renewable energy across all sectors – power, heat, transport and desalination well before 2050 is feasible. According to a review of the 181 peer-reviewed papers on 100% renewable energy that were published until 2018, "[t]he great majority of all publications highlights the technical feasibility and economic viability of 100% RE systems." A review of 97 papers published since 2004 and focusing on islands concluded that across the studies 100% renewable energy was found to be "technically feasible and economically viable." A 2022 review found that the main conclusion of most of the literature in the field is that 100% renewables is feasible worldwide at low cost.

>Existing technologies, including storage, are capable of generating a secure energy supply at every hour throughout the year. The sustainable energy system is more efficient and cost effective than the existing system. The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) stated in their 2011 report that there is little that limits integrating renewable technologies for satisfying the total global energy demand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100%25_renewable_energy

The IPCC pointed this out over a decade ago.