Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Kinexity t1_j9u88wf wrote

I think the really big thing would be a robot which can cook. No need to go to restaurant and pay a lot of money for decent food when you can ask your robot to make it for you when you come back from work.

SaintLouisduHaHa t1_j9ua0jb wrote

That's just it though, a robot that is fast enough and flexible enough to cook in a household kitchen can likely do everything else pretty effectively too. Low level household chores, done slowly, is something we're getting close to actually accomplishing.

altmorty t1_j9uqdg2 wrote

More likely that automated restaurants would use robots to quickly and cheaply produce, serve or deliver food. More people could then take advantage of them. It would be more cost efficient than everyone having one at home.

Kinexity t1_j9uqy4v wrote

If it was for cooking only then what you say makes sense but if people already had robots to do chores then they may as have cooking functionality.

EconomicRegret t1_j9xqzer wrote

> No need to go to restaurant and pay a lot of money for decent food

If that becomes reality. It's gonna be a future where, like musicians, 3 stars and other star Chefs will write, perform and upload their recipes with cooking techniques included. We will buy and download those "recipes", which would automatically give your robot not only new recipes, but also new skills.

Restaurants will still exist, but the vast majority of them automated. And cooks will be like musicians. Only a very small minority will make a living. While the rest will do it as a side gig, a hobby.

Kinexity t1_j9ygnsn wrote

The big assumption in your comment is that you would need people to think up recipies. Just like with image generation it will probably turn out that a dumb model can do that just as well as a human.

[deleted] t1_j9zyooo wrote

I love cooking and can do it well, I think I’ll always cook. Cleaning up is another matter.

Kinexity t1_ja003li wrote

Then all the more power to you. No one is going to ban humans from cooking. Most people either lack time or will and bad diet is a serious problem which is why I think of cooking automation as a necessity.

[deleted] t1_ja03rld wrote

No they certainly aren’t but to make a machine that has the tools available to to make the variety of dishes to the level of a good human cook is going to be ridiculously expensive to buy and run. I would assume a 3D printer type setup will be the future of quick nutritious meals, can’t see too many cyborgs in the kitchen in the foreseeable future.