Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Cheapskate-DM t1_ja7n0db wrote

The social media boom has largely failed to acknowledge that at the end of the day, everything happens in the real world.

The social media tech sector is almost its own foreign nation, and it's luring the best and brightest minds away with the (fickle) promise of work-from-home and the (relative) safety of job-hopping from one wild venture to another. It's been this way consistently since the dotcom boom.

The result is severe understaffing in the jobs - college-educated, far from brute labor - most needed to fix physical problems. Welding and weld inspection, CNC machining, engineering, architecture, data science - these fields need smart people, and they're already being poached by oil companies and the military-industrial complex before the promise of a work-from-home job lining Zuck or Bezos' pockets. This leaves precious few new members in the trades needed to fix our cities, bridges and railroads.

In the promise of the Metaverse and the social media sphere writ large, it's safer to avoid the ugliness and weight and cost of the physical world and opt instead for a code-monkey 9 to 5 and Minecraft on your time off.

Cetun t1_ja95gje wrote

>This leaves precious few new members in the trades needed to fix our cities, bridges and railroads.

This sounds like a compensation problem. The reason they don't go into those trades is the compensation packages just aren't as good as the alternative. Everyone will agree with you until you mention raising taxes or ending suburban and rural subsidies, then all of a sudden everyone is unanimous, we can do without those things as long as it keeps our tax bill down.

Rofel_Wodring t1_ja9lnex wrote

Also, the trades have a lot of grabass associated with them. After getting out, I was not pleased to learn that, for better or for worse, blue collar working culture is interchangeable with enlisted military working culture. And not the fun Stripes/Down Periscope part, I mean the G.I. Jane/Jarhead parts.

Of course, there's also the issue of finding the right trade. If you did pneumatic controls or drywall, well, sucks to be you! Should've picked lighting systems, idiot. Oh, wait, Lutron owns everything and underpays its lighting techs. Well, you should've invented a time machine, idiot.

But yeah, trades solve everything. If everyone did a trade, the wage stagnation that happened with liberal arts and STEM totally won't happen with blue collar work. You see, by picking up a wrench or a multimeter, you put up an anti-job competition field that can permanently deflect any number of hungry applicants, no matter how much you get lowballed.

Neil_Live-strong t1_jacl1fq wrote

Wasn’t Down Periscope the best? They didn’t offer that major in college so I couldn’t be a submarine captain on an old WW2 diesel sub that’s manned by a rag tag motley crew of misfits and a sexy first mate who’s clothes are too small for her. Because I could have also minored in hosting Village People concerts. Even though that didn’t work out, at least I wasn’t stuck with a communications degree.

Rofel_Wodring t1_ja9kwbw wrote

>This leaves precious few new members in the trades needed to fix our cities, bridges and railroads.

I love how people talk like capitalism is just going to give them the society they want because they asked nicely and it would be mean if capitalism didn't.

Don't forget to vote. That will bring you the society you crave, lmao.

Cheapskate-DM t1_ja9pvub wrote

No, capitalism is horseshit specifically because it prioritizes easy money over getting shit done. I don't need phone apps, i need applied engineering.

buntopolis t1_jaacunz wrote

Someone really doesn’t like WFH. I think you need to get over it.

Cheapskate-DM t1_jab0j2e wrote

WFH is great for vital jobs. Social media corporations are at best non-essential and at worst straight up vampiric.