Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_ja3n5ae wrote

[deleted]

IcebergSlimFast t1_ja4krgy wrote

What held true in the past won’t necessarily hold true as the pace of change and disruption becomes faster and faster.

awfullotofocelots t1_ja4wn0p wrote

The past is the only empirical evidence we have and our remarkable ability at pattern recognition is what's helped us become apex predators and survive as a speciies to this point. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

MikeTheGamer2 t1_ja6ap4y wrote

>Humans need work for psychological well-being

speak for yourself. If I had everythiing I needed, without having to work for it, I'd be as happy as a pig in shit.

billtowson1982 t1_ja74jxn wrote

1.) The idea that humans will ALWAYS be economically productive despite all possible future technological developments is just as much blather as saying in 1950 "in all of history humans have never gone to space, so they never will!" Whether AI ever develops to the point of being able to do all jobs better than any human, I don't know. But the possibility can't be ruled out, and certainly not by "it didn't happen in the past so it never will!"

2.) Strengthening your moral and ethical character is a good thing to do. But it's silly to believe that that is the way to get ahead in a career - a weak moral character can be as much an asset, maybe even more of an asset, to a person's career as a strong one.