Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Darkhorseman81 t1_j8hamw5 wrote

Nah. It's a glass tube with a mag Lev vehicle inside of it.

Half the price of normal high speed rail. Less chance of floods, weather, or wildlife getting in the tube and causing damage or delays.

A start up company in Texas was one of the best contenders making them. I was analysing studies on the materials they used.

-The_Blazer- t1_j8hsz00 wrote

> Nah. It's a glass tube with a mag Lev vehicle inside of it. > > > > Half the price of normal high speed rail

How is maglev, which is already more expensive than HSR, covered with an extremely long glass tube cheaper than HSR?

I'm fairly pro-maglev, but I don't see the point of pumping up the cost by covering it. In the urban areas where this would have some utility in shielding the populace from the 600 Km/h noise and wind you probably can't go very fast to begin with.

Weltkaiser t1_j8hdupl wrote

You're invested in window cleaning supplies or something? Cause that's almost as stupid as the Hyperloop in terms of maintenance and cost outweighing the benefits significantly.

EaZyMellow t1_j8hgyx3 wrote

Have you seen what engineers can overcome? Reducing maintenance on a magnetic device “can” be simple. It’s just hard.

−2

CloserToTheStars t1_j8hugk1 wrote

People like echo chambers. Just let the inventors invent. And they do so whatever Reddit thinks is bollocks anyway plus elon the devil is involved… so fighting a losing battle no matter what it is

−1