Submitted by TreatThompson t3_xunhmz in GetMotivated

Advice from the elderly can save you a lifetime of questioning. They have answers that would have otherwise taken decades to reach on your own.

I remember in high school, people in university would give me advice, and I'd just throw it in the trash. However, when I finally got to university, I regretted not listening to them because I reached the same conclusions, then passed it on to younger people I knew.

Why did I regret it if I learned it in the end? Because it took years to learn.

After experiencing that, I started looking at people older than me as assets.

When I see an old man crossing the street, it's hard for me not to see decades upon decades of walking experience.

Asking him for advice is like going into the future, getting my answer, and coming back. He lived through my question, so now I don't have to.

Of course, some advice degrades over time, but that doesn't take away from the fact that there is still timeless information you can tap into.

With all that being said, it’s no surprise I got excited when I found an article that surveyed elderly peoples most common regrets.

These are the top 3:

Family time

A huge regret elderly people have is not spending more time with their family. The busy 30-year-old who can't make time to see their parents will wish for that time back when they're gone.

Living safe and practical

Towards the end of life, many people regret not starting a business or travelling the world. They regret playing it safe and dedicating themselves to saving for retirement.

Live life now

Spending your last six months completing your bucket list stains your dreams with sadness and regret. Don't wait until it's too late. Experience life and create memories now.

This post was from my newsletter

I share ideas from great thinkers so we can stand on the shoulders of giants, instead of figuring life out alone

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MisterGGGGG t1_iqwcvhp wrote

This was beautiful

TreatThompson OP t1_iqwd5vo wrote

I’m glad it resonated with you 🙌

Thanks for letting me know!

NewTech20 t1_iqxn99j wrote

Started a jar to save for my Japan trip this week. Selling off old items to fund it. Wish me luck!

TreatThompson OP t1_iqxwfl0 wrote

Oh damn that’s so exciting!! Hope it’s great 🙌🙌🙌

TreatThompson OP t1_iqwc4sn wrote

Karl Pillemer said this on the elderly:

“Older people are the most credible experts we have on how to live happy and fulfilled lives during hard times.

They have experienced extraordinary historical events that tested their limits – and they have learned how to cope with them, to survive and to thrive. 

They have also been through the kinds of personal challenges and tragedies that younger people lie awake at night worrying about: loss of parents and spouses, even children; the ups and downs of marriage, bad jobs and unemployment. 

And they have come through them, and often are happier than younger people, as research shows us. What better source of advice for living for the rest of us?”

GracieIsGorgeous t1_iqxoz2h wrote

I work at a hospital and am fortunate to be able to talk to elderly people. I value their advice and enjoy listening to their experiences.

TreatThompson OP t1_iqyklny wrote

Wow I love go hear that, I’m glad you see the joy in it!

enduring_student t1_iqwr81g wrote

Thank you, learning from others in the game of life is a pro tip that almost always makes the game of life so much more playable and better!

TreatThompson OP t1_iqwuwhr wrote

You’re definitely right!!

Why go through the game with just our experiences, when we can use others who have gone through it to get ahead

eyecicey t1_iqyfe09 wrote

That family time one comes for many

I imagine so many 50 + year olds slowing up on work and realising their kids are grown and don't have time for them because of their life.

So they missed out on so much when they were young and then it's too late.

Not many people die wishing if only they could have worked more.

TreatThompson OP t1_iqypibz wrote

I guess when it comes down to it there’s never enough time spent with loved ones, but I’m sure it hurts particularly more when one realizes there was a huge gap of effort that they could’ve made

That’s last sentence is the truth!

SerbanDarik t1_iqwnaoz wrote

My parents used to give me advice when i was a kid , things like dont walk without socks on the cold floor tiles ,or wear a hat if it's snowing, take a umbrella when raining,etc. Well after catching many colds i never dismissed them anymore, and always tried to think deeply about any advice an elder would give me.I mean, you hear from a early age that some people have "experience" ,you understand the concept,but you don't really understand it until it happens to you.