Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BHBachman t1_iuqq9pu wrote

Reply to comment by Bucket1982 in [Image] The Maturity Climb by raytanwl

Yes and my point is that "The world doesn't change for you" is a shitty, defeatist message that offloads all societal responsibility onto some vague "other" (or in some cases, just treats a terrible world as a noble and just thing that somehow proves how good it is). I know it's called the "is-ought distinction" in philosophy but I prefer the more general term "normative-descriptive shuffle". If your response to "This thing is bad" is to point out that that's just how things are, then all you're doing is carrying water for the people who make it bad in the first place. Think bigger.

ChanimalCrackers t1_iusjrok wrote

I think the picture needed to make a point in as few words as possible due to space limitations. There are bound to be some nuances that can’t be communicated.

Bucket1982 t1_iuqr5cr wrote

To reflect and have understanding about something doesn’t mean you stay in that headspace forever. You are not locked in to any of those things at the top of the picture. Realizing your real power is in changing yourself doesn’t mean you don’t also try to shape the world around you. Knowing it is an impossible task doesn’t make humans stop trying.