Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

waterwings91 t1_iy8sp60 wrote

Reply to comment by Burden15 in [image]Do your best by thirtyVerb

There will be times when giving 100% is going to be stressful, you might burnout a bit, but if it's a consistent problem then you're giving over 100%. There are a lot of factors, as I said every situation is different and you want to do your best in that situation.

Let's take a runner for example. In two different races, they'll have two different approaches. In a sprint, it's all out for 10s and they are gassed at the end. If they were to run a marathon at that pace they'd never make it. They'd be too stressed and they'd burnout. Now, running a marathon in 4 hours is a good time, but definitely slower than a sprint. That doesn't mean that the runner didn't give it 100% though, they just changed their effort to meet their goal.

hungrydruid t1_iy8uhw8 wrote

But this is kind of my point, I cannot give 100% in different forms in all things. It's just way too much expectations and work, and my brain doesn't differentiate different forms very well anyway. It's been a learning process to reframe my thinking as such.

Uruz2012gotdeleted t1_iy9al9n wrote

If you're holding back effort then, by definition, you aren't giving 100%. That or you're just saying in hindsight, "I gave 100%." regardless which is definitely a tautology.

waterwings91 t1_iy9nak6 wrote

The original quote was always do you best, so maybe I was wrong to say 100% effort when I meant do you best. At this point we're arguing semantics. Do your best, your best will look different depending on your goals.

Burden15 t1_iy8ui20 wrote

Yea, I understand what you’re saying. What I’m saying is that it isn’t necessarily healthy to always be in a race mindset, optimizing for whatever is your peak sustainable productivity theoretically is. Sometimes a person just needs to chill