Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DeflateGape t1_j0fmjw0 wrote

It’s a good philosophy, much better suited for life than a miserable philosophy like stoicism. I’m laughing here thinking about all these modern “stoics” downvoting you on their computing devices. The stoics thought owning a cup was extravagant, pop philosophy is such garbage.

Edit: such weak ass people, to downvote a serious comment because they can’t defend their own bullshit worthless opinion. Not a single person on Reddit is a stoic, you are all soft, materialistic, pleasure chasers. Go on, pretend to be a stoic. Maybe you can buy a Cowboy Hat and walk around pretending to be John Wayne next. That’s quality motivation, just run around talking like an action hero based on your misinterpreted fake version of an ascetic philosophy you are too weak to actually try to live by.

Stokkolm t1_j0g6hyc wrote

Isn't being stoic more about not consuming your energy being angry about things you can't have or bad things that happen outside of your control?

Giving up easily available resources like computers and internet just to make life harder for no reason sounds more like masochism.

Whiplash17488 t1_j0g0heq wrote

> The stoics thought owning a cup was extravagant

Can you tell me more on how you’ve come to think that? I understood that sentiment to be the school of cynicism instead.

> pop philosophy

When a real crisis comes and all the one liners and motivational memes fall through the cracks, some people do make it down to the source material because they need more.

> pretend to be a stoic

Even in the ancient writings they acknowledge the “sage” as more of an untenable ideal rather than a real person. Socrates’ name comes up in that context of someone worth looking up to but even he was not a sage. When does a person become the label I wonder.

Phobac07 t1_j0h0lpr wrote

I think your making a comment in bad faith and being disingenuous, one of the famous ancient stoics was Marcus Aurelius.

A Roman Emperor.

CarrionComfort t1_j0ften3 wrote

The popularity of stoicism is unfortunate. At its worst, it’s just more “money can’t buy you happiness” bullshit and used to justify not giving a shit.

Aliiredli t1_j0fw2zw wrote

So where does fear of god and the day of judgment lie in of those two philosophies?

−5

RETVRN_II_SENDER t1_j0fwim7 wrote

lmao is this a serious question?

Aliiredli t1_j0g14uq wrote

Yes

RETVRN_II_SENDER t1_j0gctis wrote

God is beneath us, so why fear something beneath us

Aliiredli t1_j0hnu7o wrote

God's definition doesn't say that though. Your description contradicts it.