Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ComeFromTheWater t1_j1d6zl9 wrote

Reply to comment by BrownRecluse90 in [image] by _Cautious_Memory

Pick a hobby or activity you enjoy and stick with it. You don’t have to ever be great at it per se, but having something you enjoy doing that you are at least set of good at really helps.

The bad news is you have to be consistent. The good news is that it just takes a little bit each day to get decent at something.

This next part may be a bit controversial, but I began taking martial arts (BJJ, but Judo, Tae Keon Do and boxing/kickboxing are legit too) really helped me because it empowered me. Knowing that you can defend yourself really helps even in non-physical situations, such as a negotiation or a conversation with your boss. I guess it becomes easier to stand up for yourself. You also learn that you don’t have to prove yourself to anyone.

Some sort of self-help/therapy is beneficial also.

Gyoza-shishou t1_j1fsjrw wrote

Agree on the martial arts but a word of caution to watch what gyms you go to, way too many try to sell you this idea of being a "warrior" or just offer straight up bullshit teachings. Generally speaking, if their first rule of martial arts is to run when possible then you're in a good place.