Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ErikTh3Barbaric t1_j2kiw08 wrote

It was a completely fabricated interview. source The quote is still true though, just not from Keanu…

Kiwijoghurt t1_j2m3aqc wrote

I think the meaning is still valid. But it's kinda sad that someone fabricated this, people will now dismiss the statement on the fact that it was fabricated.

[deleted] t1_j2ljggk wrote

No offense, but considering COVID had just devastated so many people's social lives and caused mental health to be an issue more recognized by society than ever, and not everyone can really relate to this quote (personally I half relate but half disagree ^(1) ) despite trying to self-convince because some people have been there, and for those yet to be there all they have to do is try, and if they're not there they didn't try hard enough… (same logic in italics could also be said of healing-by-prayer: ridiculous except the latter has no success vs the former sees success in a handful of people) and considering social-interaction-is-important-for-mental-health is pretty accepted by the field of psychology, well:

Please don't intentionally isolate yourself for the sake of getting better at tolerating isolation. Humans are (generally) social animals. Be kind to yourself, including doing a favor for your mental health by socializing.

The point of the quote is you should always do your best at taking care of yourself no matter if you're in a relationship or terribly isolated from everyone or anywhere in between; that includes not only making life enjoyable when there's no one around, but also seeking social interactions when you're lonely: make friends, find relatable people online, call your family (if it's not likely to end badly).

Some people get to win competitions "for working really hard" as they say, but apparently that doesn't mean working really hard will guarantee you a win. Okay the example is a bit extreme, but just know people aren't all the same. Some people do succeed in adapting to isolation; others don't. The quote verbatim is probably worth a try, but don't hang your life on it.

Alone or not, you are valid and not inferior; you don't have to live one way or the other; it is your choice, and your options are for you and you alone to explore and determine, and you are rightful to alter your decision at any time.

[^1]: Personally, I'm better at tolerating isolation when I get myself busy doing stuff, but still I need to vent, bad things, good things, to someone, anyone, from time to time.

u/ErikTh3Barbaric thanks for carrying me for my comment-reply visibility. I just think this is very important.

NewJeansBunnie t1_j2m3123 wrote

Why did you choose that comment to respond to whith this essay?

WagerOfMinimum t1_j2nyw0j wrote

Because they said the quote was true? It's obvious. And it's a top comment where it keeps every reply visible.

mr_j936 t1_j2nzx9d wrote

Not sure why anyone would downvote this comment. It is 100% correct. So you can downvote me as well.

[deleted] t1_j2o0fph wrote

Haha thanks ☺️ idk but sometimes myself also feel like living in hell would make me feel better — but this case is different because the risk is getting hurt while no one's around to help

ketaminkerem t1_j2m1jd5 wrote

not this guy writing a whole essay about a fake quote 💀💀

−3

Zakman360 t1_j2mkpbd wrote

At a genuine psychological perspective, it’s a bullshit quote that makes people feel bad about themselves for the normal human reaction of loneliness. Unfortunate fact is that we need each other

−4