Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

enigmamonkey t1_j42ctt4 wrote

Reply to comment by Hyfrith in [image] you are tomorrow by yetTear272

Are you me?

I think this shit plagues me. Sadly, I must admit… I’m so distracted (undisciplined? spoiled/privileged? ADHD? all of the above?) that I’m sitting here on reddit instead of getting ready for work. But even during the regular work day, this affects my memory. Like, right now, I’ve got a ton of interesting ideas on things I wanna pursue and research (as well as slack off, like what I’m doing here) instead of thinking/focusing on what’s important right now. Probably because it’s just too easy.

But when I’m in “the zone,” it’s the complete opposite.

Hyfrith t1_j43ii2p wrote

Haha, I thought I had ADHD for months and months. Everything I read about it seemed to point to my exact symptoms, struggles and experiences. It was only when my chronic procrastination got me in trouble at work that I sought out a therapist. She didn't think I had ADHD after I told her everything, and instead helped me realise what I actually have is very acute, very suppressed anxiety. Which has ADHD-like symptoms with distraction (avoidance), procrastination, memory issues for example.

A YouTuber I admire called Better Ideas has a great mantra for procrastination. "Inaction is a slow death". Taking action we're afraid of is painful, but the pain of leaving it to grow and fester in our mind is worse over time. Better to choose the short term pain and just get ready for work, because the personal pain and guilt and stress of being late, or not going, or getting in trouble for it with your boss will feel worse in the long run.