Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Akihiro_Tanizaki t1_j594bqg wrote

We essentially condition ourselves to become dopamine release reliant when we become results driven instead of purpose driven.

Finding satisfaction in the process of self-discovery and in loyalty to the journey of self-improvement, rather than actual visible progress (or setback), sets you up for true fulfillment.

Happiness in doing vs. receiving.

But I'll admit investing in yourself is hard. You now have distorted reasonable expectations and want to rebuild the world inside of your head while being an intense addict to routinary gratification. Whether that's in your work or personal life, maintaining perspective inside a dilusion, where the world and yourself are the distractors, is like trying to find your way out of a progressively intense ADHD "fever dream" nightmare.

But having someone else tell you these words, it reminds me why I'm here in the first place. Thank you for that.

TreatThompson OP t1_j5awuf1 wrote

What you said in the middle is perfectly said, “happiness in doing vs receiving”

I like to think of it that way too—I always tell myself to be input driven not output driven

But ur right it’s also super hard because we instinctually want validation, acceptance, etc. from others

Thanks for sharing that! 😄