Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

chance_waters t1_j5gmy16 wrote

No, you don't. The body and brain are an interlinked machine, most thought is automatic, but more importantly most feelings are cause and effect. At an extreme end of this spectrum, if you're hallucinating due to dehydration do you have control over that? No. Consciously speaking we can take stock and redirect emotions, when given the opportunity to do so

Humans give themselves way too much credit for the power of consciousness, we are biological machines running on train tracks

michron98 t1_j5ju7zf wrote

>Humans give themselves way too much credit for the power of consciousness, we are biological machines running on train tracks

I think the power of human consciousness is that we can set the switches. Which is pretty powerful in its own, don't you think?

[deleted] t1_j5gpk72 wrote

[deleted]

−4

chance_waters t1_j5gqdi3 wrote

I'd suggest you read some physics and philosophy, there's not an actual debate here.

[deleted] t1_j5grenr wrote

[deleted]

−1

chance_waters t1_j5gxnfn wrote

It's not about what gives me comfort, it's about reality. If it helps you sleep at night to believe your experience of life, emotional reactions etc. are a result of your conscious mind, despite all evidence pointing to the contrary, then who am I to tell you otherwise.