Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HappinessPursuit t1_j94sqgh wrote

Honestly, I never claimed that I "figured out" that nobody figures it out in the first place.

I'm simply saying that people shouldn't set this expectation of success for themselves as portrayed in the comic as having a solved Rubik's cube.

Life is so vastly complex beyond anything we can comprehend. Whether it's your role in society or existentialism. There is some value to being more comfortable with the idea of not grasping life's meaning, if there is one. It's an impossible task because at the end of the day, nobody truly has any idea what is going on.

I know I'm getting into philosophical territory but that's how I viewed it. There isn't anything contradictory with acknowledging what I've said above imo.

Edit: to add. You really can figure that out in the same sense that we all have illusions at a young age that adults have things figured out. And as we get older we realize people across all walks of life are just like us, figuring it out.

Extra-Confection-706 t1_j9a85vy wrote

"Nobody ever figures It out"

How can you be sure about that when nobody figures It out? You never claimed directly you figured It out, yet you are talking like you figured It out since you know that "nobody figures It out".

Maybe there is someone Who figured It out?! How would you know? The only way to know that It cant be true is that you figured out that nobody figures It out.

To come to the conclusión that nobody ever figures It out, you literally had to figure that out that nobody ever figures It out. It makes no logical sense.

A smarter statement would be:

"I am kinda sure that nobody ever figures It out but i dont know shit about fuck and just talking out of my ass to sound smarter than i am"

HappinessPursuit t1_j9bndeg wrote

You are right in a way, how can anyone claim to know for others any kind of understanding? Because you only truly know things from your own perspective. I see the philosophical problem you're saying.

But I suppose in a way that is also what I am saying. It's more of a gist of Taoism's "those who know do not speak, those who speak do not know."

The Socrates quote I posted above still echoes that: "the only thing I know is that I don't know."

It's all about a certain kind of humbleness, to admit you don't know anything. But you're getting upset because in order to say that you are being contradictory? The message still comes across without being philosophically anal.

This quote from Terence McKenna puts the point of my OP best:

"We all need to try to understand what is happening. We need to try to understand what is happening, and in my humble opinion, ideology is only going to get in your way. Nobody understands what is happening, not Buddhists, not Christians, not government scientists... no one understands what is happening. So forget ideology. They betray. They limit. They lead astray.

Nobody is smarter than you are. And what if they are? What good is their understanding doing you? People who walk around saying, ‘Well, I don’t understand quantum physics, but somewhere, somebody understands it.’. That’s not a very helpful attitude toward preserving the insights of quantum physics.

Just deal with the raw data, and trust yourself. Inform yourself.

What does “inform yourself” mean? It means transcend and mistrust ideology. Go for direct experience. What do you think when you face the waterfall? What do you think when you have sex? What do you think when you take psilocybin? Everything else is unconfirmable rumor, useless, probably lies. So liberate yourself from the illusion of culture. Take responsibility for what you think and what you do."

So focus on your own Rubik's cube. Be wary of anyone who claims to say they have theirs figured out. Direct experience is all that matters and everything is subjective. Everything can be contradictory in analytic philosophy.

The only thing that should matter to you is if you are satisfied with your own Rubik's cube. Forget what I said about how nobody can claim to have theirs solved. The whole point of my message is that their cubes don't ever matter to you.