Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Indorn t1_j9aqhss wrote

Kinda heartbreaking to see. Saw a documentary about survivors that jumped The Golden Gate or was going to. Many that changed their minds just after they jumped. There is help to get!

kavardidnothingwrong t1_j9awu1m wrote

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem".

I saw that same documentary I think, it really shaped how I viewed suicide. One of the survivors I believe stated, "As soon as I jumped, everything I knew was fixable. This wasn't." And miraculously survived.

Life is a cherished gift, this is the only one we have.

prof_bunburyist t1_j9b4556 wrote

This story makes me feel warm inside. There are good people out there. :). I haven't heard of this documentary but I want to check it out now.

Writer10 t1_j9bh3q3 wrote

This photo is heart-wrenching. For those unfamiliar with the GG Bridge, the lower ledge where that young man is standing is literally the jump off point. The only thing separating him from the ocean is the grip of his right hand on the metal in front of him.

maniacalmustacheride t1_j9blqmg wrote

I cried the first time I watched it, and then cried the second time I watched it when it started. Some of it was fixable, but some of them were failed by the societal system and not because of motivation or friends. Sometimes people are just sick, and they need help, and the day to day combined with lack of access to affordable mental health plus the stigma of being mentally unwell…the jumpers’ pain caused pain for those that knew them, but I really respected how honest about their grief and yet still caring those people were.

I guess my point is, yeah, there’s some great points about all of life’s problems being solvable on the way down, for the guy that did survive. But suicide for a lot of people doesn’t feel like wanting to die. There was an author that wrote about people jumping from the towers at 9/11, and it wasn’t that they wanted to die, but they were more afraid of the fire than of what was out the window. Jumpers don’t always want to die, but being where they are is so inescapable that death is less scary, even a painful one.

But again, that’s why we need better mental health advocacy and better pay for those that work in the field, and less punishment for people that feel any sort of feelings in the job force.

Fivefingerheist t1_j9bpnzp wrote

I remember a video a while back that what sounded like a teenage kid had cut something on himself to cause profuse bleeding. He was recording and stumbling around saying he changed his mind, he didn't want to die. Didn't watch to the end, but heartbreaking as from the amount of blood on the floor he was assured to die.

Amaevise t1_j9brxcr wrote

I wish these conversations were recorded. It would help a lot of people going through the same things to hear what was said that was obviously effective

Indorn t1_j9bxu0y wrote

I've lost a couple of persons close to me due to suicide. Still not fully recovered from it, years later. It affects so many more people around. The total cost for the society is so much higher than just the person that commits suicide. Really don't get how it can't be a more prioritised subject where I live.

Politicians are talking about more road safety when it dies a lot more people due to suicide every year than in car accidents.

CeeMX t1_j9c1q79 wrote

92 minutes is pretty accurate, did they start a timer when they started talking?

−33

TomZino t1_j9c249r wrote

Climbing the rail on any high bridge is also a quick way to get a put on 5150 psychiatric hold for 72 hours. Getting involuntarily committed twice or more makes the patient a candidate for permanent disability. I'm not saying that is what happened in this case. Just saying that sometimes the sad story is part of a hustle if that makes any sense. Learned about all that while getting treatment myself.

−19

foorm t1_j9c3upe wrote

This thing that happened almost 20 years ago makes up for the 1000s of people going through mental health problems that the police have killed since then

−53

erikvfx t1_j9c58wi wrote

Very touching. But I thought his shirt said” fuck the police ”

−21

aamidas t1_j9cin2k wrote

Why does the photo on the right yell “elect me for local office”

−8

Xerenopd t1_j9ckavj wrote

One bad day is only 0.00003% of your life. Never give up and keep pushing it.

−7

westbee t1_j9ckzz9 wrote

It's not always a bad day. It's bad life experiences that up to what feels like a failed life.

Which in the grand scheme of things is still a fraction of your life.

Non_Skeptical_Scully t1_j9clgwi wrote

I love how happy and excited Officer Briggs is to see Kevin in the After photo. So wholesome! 😄

googllgoog t1_j9cnfdb wrote

looks like he is wearing a F the police tshirt .

−19

Oasis0 t1_j9csmjd wrote

It would also be incredibly traumatizing for someone's most desperate moments to be made public. Imagine having someone trying to make you believe your life is worth living while recording the conversation to publish online later.

MalignedOriental t1_j9cuhbg wrote

I don’t know why you’re getting downvoted, being committed in general is one of the worst things that can happen to a person. I’ve had to get familiar members from psych wards before and seen others in the military.

They’re the most depressing fucking places I’ve ever seen. Funeral homes have more joy than a psych ward.

MalignedOriental t1_j9cuoe3 wrote

Because the smart thing to do with a suicidal person is to just let them go by themselves and trust them not to do anything else and not make sure they get some kind of proper care and attention… Yeah just let em go you’re job is done. /s

Thricey t1_j9cwasr wrote

During a weird, golden age of documentaries I feel like. A lot of originality and getting permission to record things that probably wouldn't be allowed much right now. I couldn't take my eyes off that doc.

FoodAndCatSubs t1_j9d9f7a wrote

I need to watch a documentary on this. I’m from the Bay Area and have heard stories of people jumping but I want to know what the officer said to him

FoodAndCatSubs t1_j9da2a0 wrote

My buddy Nick committed suicide in 2005.

My mom had a best friend growing up in Canoga Park who had committed suicide in her car by pulling over and swallowing a bottle of sleeping pills. When Breaking Bad came out, my mom noticed Bryan Cranston on tv. She tells me she went to high school with him, but they did not know each other at the time, but coincidentally Bryan had a crush on her best friend.

Several years back, Bryan Cranston wrote in a memoir about a girl he liked in Canoga Park- my mom’s best friend. He wrote that she had died from a car accident when in reality she committed suicide. My mom has wanted to find a way to connect with Bryan to explain what really happened to her if he doesn’t know already. Pretty sad stuff.

Double_Match_1910 t1_j9de7rg wrote

My tea's gone cold, I'm wondering why..

I got out of bed, at all

ZepyrusG97 t1_j9df3db wrote

Oftentimes that "one bad day" is just the straw that broke the camel's back. The decision to end it all is usually caused by many factors that the person considering it feels overwhelmed and powerless against. This is why we should always be kind and avoid judging people until we really know what they're going through, and try to be considerate to everyone whenever we're the ones in a good mental state while others might be at their limit.

Full_Aperture t1_j9dglwg wrote

Hey bro, can I get those Neon 95's before you jump?

−9

MidnightMinute25 t1_j9dgoxt wrote

“The Bridge” is a documentary that should be shown in those stupid pep assemblies in school about suicide. It’s absolutely gonna be more effective than being told the same old “you matter, reach out if you need help” shit that never does anything for anyone.

ballsdeepinthematrix t1_j9dj0bd wrote

I can't help but think that it means the bridge was closed one way for an hour and a half.

As someone who drives on a bridge nearly daily, this was my first thought.

Glad the bloke is doing much better of course. I am curious to what the police man spoke about for that time period to change his mind.

−9

Sigmas_Melody t1_j9djmd6 wrote

I thought the first pic was a guy that got his head stuck in the bars

ttrashhmouth t1_j9dnaru wrote

The weak breeze whispers nothing the water screams sublime. His feet shift, teeter-totter deep breaths, stand back, it’s time.

Toes untouch the overpass soon he’s water-bound. Eyes locked shut but peek to see the view from halfway down.

A little wind, a summer sun a river rich and regal. A flood of fond endorphins brings a calm that knows no equal.

You’re flying now, you see things much more clear than from the ground. It's all okay, or it would be were you not now halfway down.

Thrash to break from gravity what now could slow the drop? All I’d give for toes to touch the safety back at top.

But this is it, the deed is done silence drowns the sound. Before I leaped I should've seen the view from halfway down.

I really should’ve thought about the view from halfway down. I wish I could've known about the view from halfway down—

sadly_a_mess_em1 t1_j9do8kp wrote

I had the pleasure of meeting this officer. He has saved so many lives. A true hero.

Sbbike t1_j9dt7b1 wrote

I’ve heard a number of survivors say something along the lines of “I realized that all the problems that I thought were impossible were completely solvable, except that I just jumped off a bridge”

The_Maker18 t1_j9e18r3 wrote

Man this is good to see after seeing all the tragic news with police officers as of recent. This officer went, talked with thr guy, helped him, and changed a man's life for the better.

mjrenburg t1_j9e265h wrote

There are truly some amazing people who truly care about their fellow human beings on this planet. Often when I'm feeling bitter about people and their selfish nature they will pop out from seemingly nowhere to give me hope and steer me away from my own selfish nature. Only thing to do is pay it forward. Love for our fellow humans is the only way to get ourselves out of this mess we all find ourselves in.

THEmandingoBoy t1_j9e2zyb wrote

I love this. In the same way words have tremendous potential to hurt others, so do they contain the tremendous potential to help other.

bikesboozeandbacon t1_j9em2ur wrote

It breaks my heart for the millions who never had this chance to talk to someone before they made a permanent decision, especially kids.

MosesDominiOwano21 t1_j9eqmee wrote

"The fool don't think he is wise, but the a wise man knows himself to be a fool"

-William Shakespeare

RandomPhail t1_j9erqpt wrote

I wonder genuinely what they did for him tho/what his situation was

grizzlyadamsshaved t1_j9exvuq wrote

The stories the media never pays attention to. A white officer helping and saving the life of a black man! Horrible news, right!! Sarcasm heavy…..there’s good and bad in us all but when all we see and hear all day is the bad/negative then in becomes the narrative of how the majority think it is. My wording is remedial but this is proven psychological facts. I love this story and remember it well. Thanks for posting.

RaddyBaddy t1_j9ez3qs wrote

Yeah, I know the pain definitely. I have been rejected by the world and my own family eventually abandoned me. I take the blame really, I'm aware people simply don't like looking at me and hate me. I know for sure I'm mostly alone in this world. The only thing that keeps me going though is The Father, Jesus Christ, The Holy Ghost. I didn't have any motivation, I didn't know what to do with my life. I didn't have a future or what I wanted to be when I grew up. Everything was simply blank in my mind and I couldn't come up with anything besides wanting to become a bright shining colorful Christmas tree, of course, everyone laughed and mocked me in school, that was when I was at least 7 years old. Yeah, I don't know what to do, besides being homeless. I guess, it's hard for me to smile and even if I do, I end up disgusting people. I'm not ugly but I'm not handsome neither, so I don't know. I'm 25 now, and I'm trying to get back on my feet. It hurts in my heart but I trust in Jesus. I'm trying to keep my faith in Him and I'm hoping that He will show me the way. I'm still struggling but I'm trying to stay positive and I'm praying every day that I will find the strength to keep going.

https://preview.redd.it/i17zw6n61lja1.jpeg?width=2448&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=7077950aa640e16606637875dbb305ec39ff6295

After walking for a few minutes on the sidewalk with all my stuff on my back and front, I was simply thinking about my loneiness. That's when I stopped in my tracks and looked up and noticed a Rainbow Halo in the sky, I know my Father is remining me of his Faithfulness and Love for me, I gotta keep trying.

Professional-Way-596 t1_j9flmkh wrote

And bad words and hateful speech have the same impactful yet opposite effect.