Submitted by woearewe04 t3_y325ng in Hartford

Greetings all! I’m new-ish to Connecticut and as the title states I’m looking to build community as I am planning on living here long term. I recently finished my Masters degree and I’ve had to admit that making friends/building community as an adult is hard (particularly so in CT)—and moving during a pandemic did not help.

Im a Black woman, late 20s looking to connect to other people of color, women/fems, leftists, queer folx, individuals that value community, etc. So in an effort to connect, I wanted to suggest starting a book club with like minded folx.

I would be open to reading works that include, but aren’t limited to, Black and indigenous authors, authors from systemically excluded identities, fiction, sci fi, and fantasy. I can also be open to non fiction every once in a while. Some of my recent reads that I thoroughly enjoyed include Broken Earth Trilogy, Black Leopard, Red Wolf, Malcom X, Exit West, lots of Octavia Butler.

I’m also open to connecting based on other shared interest: board games, plants, wine, travel, food and cooking, pottery, and learning to knit to name a few. I’m also child free by choice—not to say that excludes people that aren’t.

I’m located in the Hartford area but am willing to travel to surrounding areas once relationships and a sense of safety have been established. Feel free to DM if you feel a connection to what I’ve shared in the post.

Comments