Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheCapnRedbeard t1_iuxy1gr wrote

I’m planning to take a non degree certificate course for cyber security. Is it worth it will I be able to find good jobs or will they expect a Bachelors in field?

Offsec_Community OP t1_iuy5e3n wrote

Lots of positions I have seen list for qualifications like "5 years experience with degree or 8 years experience with no degree". It makes it harder because you need more experience but you can get into the field with out a degree.

Obviously it helps to have a degree but I have worked with some super smart people who never got a degree and can run circles around me on the keyboard.

TheCapnRedbeard t1_iuz25hn wrote

Thank you for the reply! I’m really excited to start this course and although it may be harder, it makes me feel more confident hearing this

___Tom___ t1_iv02neg wrote

Second that. Some of the world-class people I'm lucky to know in the field have no formal qualifications. However, many of them are (like myself) dinosaurs from a time when there was no "IT Security" study. You'd study something with IT and then pivot into security. These days, qualifications are getting more important, but everywhere I've worked within the past 10 years people were still open for lateral entrants.