Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

intengineering OP t1_iwqvh67 wrote

We honestly don't know the definitive answer on carcinogenicity but certainly the pigments used in tattoo inks have real concerns associated with them. Definitely applying sun screen can't hurt since UV degradation is a real and not understood pathway. For someone who is very concerned, keeping tattoos covered in general is probably the safest bet since we also don't understand how visible light can impact degradation. -JRS

YoungPatrickBateman t1_iwrel6f wrote

As someone who has fair skin and many tattoos I can confirm sun exposure contributes to tattoo degredation.

I have a black tattoo around my wrist, around 13 years old, and it has turned a kind of blue-black colour. I’d say my wrist is frequently exposed to sunlight and the most commonly missed part of my body when applying sunscreen. All of my other black tattoos have remained black over the years. They’re in locations which are either covered by clothing or protected by sunscreen.

I also live in Australia - the sun is pretty intense here.

Sence t1_iwrv3h7 wrote

I'm also fair skinned and grew up surfing with fairly diligent sunscreen use but have definitely had more than a few days of sunburn from lack of reapplying. I have a black piece on my upper arm and one on my upper thigh. My thigh almost never sees sunlight and both those 20 year old tattoos have the same level of color degradation.

YoungPatrickBateman t1_iwsqe0v wrote

Interesting. I wonder how much a persons personal biology plays into the degradation of ink in conjunction with external environmental factors.

PoutinePower t1_iwqx1as wrote

Very interesting thing to keep in mind! Thanks for the answer!

MNGirlinKY t1_iwutxwg wrote

It’s the number one best protection for your tattoos. If you have 10 grand invested into your sleeves you certainly don’t want to expose them to the sun.

This is really interesting I’m going to share this with my artist. Thank you