Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

shrimptooth OP t1_j1bole5 wrote

How I got my start was on a website I started called www.WeekendScripts.com where I would write a full script in a weekend and put it online. They weren't necessarily great but they would be based on news stories so people would be like, "how the fuck is their script about CURRENT NEWS STORY already?" And that got me a lot of notoriety for my speed.

Normally if I'm writing a script that I'm getting paid for I really like just getting a first draft out in a few weeks, knowing that I'm going to go back and change a million things. For me having the full draft in front of me is when I can start really analyzing what's working and what definitely isn't.

HalpTheFan t1_j1cyvpw wrote

This is so good to hear. I challenged myself this year to write at least two scripts by writing a page a night - anything else you'd recommend to improve my writing speed or just keeping on track during rough months?

shrimptooth OP t1_j1cz791 wrote

I’d say my biggest advice always is to just finish. Even if you think it’s a hot pile of shit. I think a lot of people get stuck in a trap of trying to perfect the first 20 pages and are too hard on themselves. Once you have a full 3 act script you really start to see what the movie is. It’s also important to remember that if you’re lucky enough to sell something every single step of the way there will be notes. Studio, producer, director, actors, so the draft will probably unrecognizable by the time it gets to the screen.

HalpTheFan t1_j1erdgp wrote

This makes me feel so much better. For the last decade, I just had so many incomplete scripts but this year was all about just getting it done. Thank you just for replying.

shrimptooth OP t1_j1ewryk wrote

Yes!! Finishing is 99% of the battle!

HalpTheFan t1_j1f30i2 wrote

Thanks for the support. Can't wait to start the next script in a week - a horror movie about a fight between a tenant and a landlord.