Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ZLVe96 t1_j1krzvr wrote

They are both fables.

Magic guys living in a place you can't see. Judging your good and bad deeds. Rewarding or punishing you.

Time to move past the fairy tales.

−4

pistol3 t1_j1ktvhj wrote

There is excellent historical evidence that Jesus of Nazareth was a real person who lived in the first century and died by crucifixion. This is well attested in Biblical and non-Biblical sources. Jesus-mythers are few and far between in serious academic circles.

rydan t1_j1lacg8 wrote

There is also evidence that a Saint Nicholas existed and gave presents to kids. Doesn't make Santa real.

pistol3 t1_j1mlhy5 wrote

The existence or non-existence of Santa has nothing to do with whether it is reasonable to believe Jesus was physically raised from the dead. You can’t use Santa to disprove Christianity.

Oversoul_7 t1_j1mzn8n wrote

So as an ex-Christian who studied theology at a very expensive private university, the actual historical evidence that is “non-Biblical” is scant to say the least. What I have found is that there are a woefully few number of purely non-Biblical unbiased books, lectures, documentaries etc… that have sound historical evidence. Now as someone who still understands that the Bible is an important book of both historical and mythological sources, I understand why the discerning Christian is eager to include concepts and conclusions from the Bible in determining the veracity of the life of Jesus. It is really a brave and dedicated Christian who will not include the Bible in their defense of Christ’s actual life… but its what the rest of the world really needs to hear from in order to entertain the idea that He lived as an actual historically important person. ❤️‍🔥🌹

pistol3 t1_j1n9fir wrote

At a bare minimum Tacitus confirms Jesus was a real person who lived in Judea, was executed under Pontius Pilate, and had group of followers called Christians who believed in a “mischievous superstition” that broke out after his execution. I’m trying to think of a good reason not to include Biblical sources, like Paul’s epistles (7 of which are undisputed), when trying to ascertain the beliefs of those who followed this “mischievous superstition” mentioned by Tacitus, but I can’t think of any.