Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

worldtravelstephanie OP t1_j3onjgq wrote

No official reason, and entirely personal actually. I just wanted to escape my life at the time, and always dreamed of what life was like in the remote and wild places of the world as a nomadic people- especially as their way of life was starting to disappear. An old friend had told me of his experiences living with nomads in the Peace Corps. When I bugged him enough, he (probably more for fun not thinking I’d ever do it) told me how to find the Kazakhs. I didn’t want to go to change people or follow them around and document them, I just wanted to live. The Siberian reindeer herders were much more cautious of outsiders, and when it eventually became clear I didn’t want to give them anything (medicine, language, religion) I was just folded into the family as an aunt. That took months and there was ceremony about it. The Kazakh of Tavan Bogd are more accustomed to outsiders, and for a long time I had an issue with them assuming I had doctoring abilities. Eventually they just let me be a part of their group without expectations of medicine. People come and go more frequently amongst the Kazakh and some leave to the city or come back, so that was more easy.

HairyStMary t1_j3oo5ol wrote

That's really interesting thanks for replying. I've never imagined someone could just go and hang out with these people unless they had done sort of agreement or transaction, so it's nice to hear that you did.

tv996509 t1_j3r2v2y wrote

Wow….you are so incredibly brave. I’m in complete awe!