Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BellaTricksHP t1_j476fuy wrote

Why did you want to be the AmeriCorps CEO?

AmeriCorpsCEO OP t1_j479r3t wrote

This work is personal for me. I grew up in an underserved community in Western Massachusetts raised by teen parents who did not have a lot of financial resources. But what we had was a community that took care of its kids and neighbors kids so we could dream big dreams despite the zip code where we were born. I met my first AmeriCorps members – VISTA and Foster Grandparents – at my local Boys & Girls Club. They served alongside nonprofit professionals and a host of other volunteers who were not looking to get rich or famous – but were looking to do whatever it took to make hope and opportunity possible for kids like me. So, serving as CEO AmeriCorps is a full circle moment for me to bring the full weight and resources of the federal government and many partners to support communities like mine – all across the country – that are leveraging the power of community and national service to transform lives and strengthen communities.

AmeriCorpsCEO OP t1_j47a5xc wrote

+ One of the things that gets me most excited about this work is National Days of Service, like MLK Day (this coming Monday Jan 16). MLK Day is the only federal holiday that is also a national day of service. Like Dr. King said: Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. And while it’s just day one day the calendar, we know that volunteering even one time...can spark a lifetime of giving back. You can find an opportunity to serve at Americorps.gov/MLKDay.