Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

seeker_of_waldo t1_j47b4uq wrote

As a one-time Americorp member I've always felt that, while serving in the military is a great sacrifice, it is only one way citizens can be of service to our country. What can be done to better promote alternate ways to be of service, like Americorp?

AmeriCorpsCEO OP t1_j47e50p wrote

Thank you for your service! We’re always looking to get the word out about AmeriCorps, and that’s part of the reason I’m on Reddit today to promote AmeriCorps and MLK Day of Service.

When you do serve or volunteer, please bring a friend, bring your child, bring your grandparents. Volunteering even just one time can spark a lifetime commitment to service. Please visit AmeriCorps.gov/MLKDay to learn more and find an opportunity to serve.

AmeriCorpsCEO OP t1_j47edj0 wrote

+ I will also say, national service programs are proud to have the dual honor of both serving our veterans and military families—and serving beside them. We are grateful to the more than 15,000 veterans who do currently serve as AmeriCorps members and volunteers and make AmeriCorps service their second act. I recommend this report from the National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service, which outlines ways that we can do even more to show the connections between and the importance of all types of service to the country: https://www.volckeralliance.org/sites/default/files/attachments/Final%20Report%20-%20National%20Commission.pdf