Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j59ycf2 wrote

I'd really appreciate it if you could upvote this thread guys !

​

I wanna spread more awareness about the disease and I also have a whole day to fill waiting for the doctors to visit my ward !

Flaky_Ebb2465 t1_j5bloit wrote

How old were you when your symptoms started happening and what symptoms did you first experience? My sons paternal grandfather had chrons and I worry about my son. Thanks for any information you feel comfortable sharing! I hope you are able to get some relief!!!

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5bti0p wrote

I was 17, but recently we've seen younger and younger people get diagnosed.

I think the symptoms are different depending on what age you are when the disease comes and how much damage the disease had done behind the scenes before its noticed.

If you're in a country with free healthcare I'd really reccomend scheduling a talk with your sons doctor to chat through it.

For me personally it began with dizziness, fatigue and extreme abdominal pain. I let it get really bad and then the rectal bleeding and hospital stays began - but I believe most can avoid that if they catch it in time.

I dont think Crohn's is guranteed to be passed genetically, I believe the science is still out on its cause being a mix of genetic and environmental factors - although studies do show if it's in your family you have a higher chance of developing it.

Flaky_Ebb2465 t1_j5bwkty wrote

I reallllllly appreciate your response! I have talked to his doctors about it (USA). He gets random stomach cramps and I cannot find a correlation of what could be causing it. It's maybe 4 times a year (he is 12, this started about 2 years ago and is less frequent every year). Doctor's did ultrasound and ran tests (thought he had appendicitis at first) said he was healthy. We eat very healthy, eats tons of veggies with his proteins. We cut out milk and cheese from his diet. He has never had soda or caffeine. Lots of water. Rarely ever has diarrhea. So I just automatically get freaked out anytime he gets stomach cramps. I will absolutely be bringing this up at his next appt. Thank you for your education on this. I never have stomach issues so I am not very knowledgeable, I've researched but talking with someone with personal experience is very appreciated! Sending you hugs and hoping you feel better soon!!

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5bz3tv wrote

Don't worry too much. Stomachs hurt regularly in healthy people too !

I totally understand the worry though, but the good thing about Crohn's is, if you're not sure you have it, one day you will be certain.

The disease is still reasonably rare only 1 in a 1000 people will have it so the odds are in your favour - just keep an eye out just in case !

Preventative measures are a good place to aim, but no one can agree on any hard and fast rules to prevent the disease occurring in the first place. The few we have are below:

. No nicotine or tobacco use.

. Regular exercise

. Limited processed food.

Please do some careful and diligent cross-checked googling to make sure I haven't missed anything out above and try to ignore the conspiracy big pharma peoples advice, they convinced me to go off my meds and I lost a year of my life !

Heavy_Jackfruit4736 t1_j59yjqp wrote

How do you stay positive and happy?

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j59z2im wrote

I love this question.

I don't stay positive and happy.

I accept there will be times, like now, where I'm trapped and in pain and missing my family and my birthday, and unsure if I will live much longer and I try and let myself feel sad about that and scared about that.

I prefer to be strong rather than positive.

Courage is a strange thing - it's a behaviour not a innate trait. It's a dipping line that follows you through life, sometimes it's high sometimes it's low, but I always try and remind myself to pick it back up again once I'm finished feeling sad.

I think we have to allow ourselves to have our emotions - not just the good ones but the bad ones too. Once we stop resisting our "bad" emotions and let them come and do their job we take all the struggle out and we feel them for normal and natural durations.

Ultimately, I've had a wonderful life filled with love and weirdness and funniness so when I am low I try and remind myself of how blessed I've been, even if for a relatively short time and I let myself grieve.

Heavy_Jackfruit4736 t1_j5a08nw wrote

Thank you for your answer. I really appreciate it. This is a great answer

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5a0tot wrote

Thank you very much for asking it. I enjoyed writing that.

If you liked it I'd recommend you have a little look at Stoicism. It's a philosophy that I try and live.

Avoid all the macho macho modern bastardisations of it and it's a beautiful heart warming philosophy that I credit with keeping me sane in these hospitals over the years.

Seneca is a great place to start especially "Letters from a Stoic". It's a collection of discovered letters between a famous philosopher and a young man he is mentoring, they dug them up from 2000 years ago and they still move me to tears. They talk about love, grief, anger, sadness, panic attacks and finding your place in the world. They read very modern and it shows you how little us Humans have changed since ancient times - we all still deal with the same issues.

Again, thank you for your lovely question.

much love.

Conor_Stewart t1_j5dli1d wrote

Another slightly different perspective. I don’t stay positive or happy either but I tend to just become numb to it all, to the point where not much will affect me, just waiting for the next thing to go wrong. It probably isn’t too healthy a way to deal with it but after so much going wrong and cancelled plans and having to take time out of Uni, etc, it does seem like the easiest method. My IBD team have just decided to put me on a liquid diet though, so I will start that on Monday, it’s not something I want but it is just something I will have to get on with.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5e1hph wrote

I'm starting my liquid diet tomorrow - feel free to reach out, much love

Long_jawn_silver t1_j59s3as wrote

what part of crohns does the killing you? hope you feel better soon!

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j59upnq wrote

Deep ulcers in my intestine that breached blood vessels connected to arteries - I bled..ALOT !

I lost 3 litres of blood quickly on two separate occasions - I still suffer from PTSD from those incidents. It can be hard to see "harmless" blood in your stool without being convinced you're about to die again.

Those events really changed my relationship with Crohn's Disease from an unfortunately life-long condition you try your best to manage to a real threat to my life I had to constantly be on guard about.

That's probably the worse consequence of my diagnosis - the survival mode I've been in for 12 years.

BigGreenBallOfLuck t1_j59yq8p wrote

Are you in the UK? Only asking because you look a lot like my friend. I hope you feel better soon my dude. Love from the UK.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j59zhr2 wrote

I am !

I'm also handsome, ginger and turning 29 tomorrow. Is this a match ?!

Shoot me a DM !

BigGreenBallOfLuck t1_j59zpyg wrote

Ah I really thought you were my mate who lives in Bristol. But the age isn't a match still hope you get better though. Not a match I'm afraid though. Sorry bud.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5a12f3 wrote

Sorry to hear your friend isn't a handsome ginger man !

BigGreenBallOfLuck t1_j5a1fy6 wrote

He is haha although now thinking he isn't as ginger as you(his loss) I really hope you get better lad. You've got a good sense of humour that's what made me think of my mate. Mad love though. Happy birthday too. I'm rooting for you as I'm sure everyone else will be. You got this.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5a20g5 wrote

Thank you mate. Weirdly enough it actually makes my day when strangers show love, so I appreciate you.

I'm rooting for you too.

I also had a little look at your post history and it got me back in the mood for God of War - I can't wait to be discharged so I can replay it, shit, I might even watch all the cutscenes spliced together as a movie on youtube tonight.

Much love lad, thanks for dropping in, wishing you all the best.

BigGreenBallOfLuck t1_j5a2i80 wrote

Check out a guy called mkfire and ice on youtube. He does good playthrough, no commentary and he plays well. 4k too. Not sure if he has done Ragnarok though. You don't have to thank me mate, that's what we are here for. Peace fella. If I'm awake at midnight I'll send a happy birthday too. Good luck.

gavebirthtoturdlings t1_j59z3ao wrote

Hello! What do you wish people understood the most about living with Crohn's? I'll be the first to admit I'm quite ignorant on the subject but I want to know more. Hope you're as okay as can be buddy.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5a05lu wrote

Hello !

Great question - don't worry about your ignorance ! I know nothing about diabetes or other diseases so no stress !

Crohn's is a disability.

Crohn's isn't like IBS. Crohn's isn't just diarrea and pain and having a funny stomach.

It's infectious flesh tunnels in your organs (Fistulas), internal bleeding, sepsis, increased cancer risk, major surgeries, colostomy bags and shame and fear.

Nobody knows what causes it or what cures it. It's likely an umbrella term for a lot of varied causes that cause the symptoms, chronic and recurrent inflammation in your GI tract and all the complications that come with that.

It's a constant companion that you feel every day and think about thousands of times a day, it's the thing in your life that will always seemingly hold you back and return at the most inopportune times, it's your monkey on your back and there's seemingly no cure.

It feels like an unslayable dragon.

gavebirthtoturdlings t1_j5ak29u wrote

Wow. Really appreciate your reply mate, thank you. I can't begin to imagine how things are for you but I hope you feel better or at least as well as you can be soon.

pursual t1_j59si64 wrote

Do you still have your colon? Have you ever considered a fecal transplant? That's what I had to do to end my Crohn's, but mine was triggered by external factors, not a genetic disposition.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j59uf0a wrote

I do ! Well most of it.

I've had two operations on my terminal ileum, no stoma yet though !

That's very interesting...How did you deduce it was external factors and not genetic ?

pursual t1_j59uz9k wrote

I went to Morocco twice, I got sick both times. The second time I never got better, and after a very slow decline I eventually had colitis and Crohn's for years. Whatever it was that I caught in Morocco had altered the makeup of my gut flora. I tried special diets, probiotics, everything, but it wasn't until I had a fecal transplant that things changed.

I definitely feel for you man, those were some hard years. I remember buying Asacol from Mexico because I didn't have insurance. I remember going to a porta potty at a flea market, and seeing a huge turd in the bottom, and being jealous and wondering if I would ever make a turd like that again.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j59xyax wrote

I wonder how many Crohn's cases are like this - dysbiosis of the microflora that goes undiagnosed. I think in general our healthcare systems are really poor at complex conditions, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot of cases like this.

Doctors aren't like House MD - they're really not interested in mysteries or logical deduction they treat you like a tick box exercise - Crohn's -> 1st line treatment -> Steroids -> Send home.

How did you diagnose the altered makeup of your flora ? and how did you find a healthcare provider to organise and deliver a fecal transplant ?

pursual t1_j59zhlt wrote

I agree completely. For me it was all desperation. I was in a Yahoo group of fellow sufferers, and there was a discussion about an Australian doctor who had published a study in which he cured 20 people of colitis via fecal transplant. Some members of the group ended up going to see him. I couldn't afford to go, but I was able to download the complete paper he published via my brother's university account. It had a complete procedure. I basically just copied it, at home. My dad is a microbiologist, and my mom was a nurse, but it was simple enough for anyone to copy.

Since then a lot has happened in the fecal transplant space. I know there are freeze dried encapsulated pills that are used today. I think the most common disease that gets fecal treatment is c difficile. I doubt it's very easy to find a doctor that is knowledgeable about the space, and get in line for treatment, but there is definitely something to it with certain types of colitis/chrons.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5a1061 wrote

Thank you for the time it took to write this and find the information for me. I appreciate it.

I will sip a little oral morpine later and go down this rabbit hole. Godbless.

Bumchewer t1_j5bj5o3 wrote

I also got Crohn’s after a trip to Morocco and my symptoms just gradually got worse until I was diagnosed with the condition around 4 years later. I was sure it was from something I picked up on that trip as I had never had an issue with my stomach before that point. Doctors ran lots of tests but unfortunately everyone’s microbiome is different so it’s impossible to say what is wrong or right.

I wanted to try FMT but it is not available in my country as a treatment for IBD outside of trials. I did however do lots of research as I’m sure everyone does. It’s not like there’s much else to do when on another extended stay in the hospital. I found that another way to drastically alter your own micro biome. Basically you starve all the bacteria. Most bacteria is in your large intestine, so I stopped all nutrition from reaching this area. The only methods to do this are to not eat at all for 6 weeks or longer except using a milkshake, elemental 028 (has to be this type I’ve not heard of anything else that’s similar). You can not cheat at all during the process even once. These were developed for astronauts so they wouldn’t produce waste in space and get absorbed within the first meter of your small intestine. This allows the rest of your intestines to heal. They are insanely expensive and you need a lot. God bless the NHS is all I will say. Or to undergo a temporary surgery where they put you on a stoma for a short period before switching back this is obviously a lot more invasive and not as much of your system gets a break as the majority of your small intestine will still be in use and you’ll require 2 surgeries which will then need to heal. The gut takes a very long time in my experience to repair so my advice to anyone trying to heal themselves is to monitor a change over a 6month period.

From this point I added food back in to my diet as if I was a new born baby one item every few days keeping a diary of my symptoms and removing any that caused issues. I also continued using the shakes for a further 6 months to a year slowly reducing the amount. Took around 18months to eat a full diet again. I found Gluten, brewers yeast and eggs can cause me issues. Today I don’t eat gluten at all and eggs sparingly.

This was a huge undertaking for me as I had to make every single thing I ate from scratch for a very long time. Was it worth it? 100% I am completely symptom free, and I mean completely for the past 5 years. I no longer have to carry spare pants everywhere I go and having learnt to cook which this process basically forces you to do has improved my life on its own massively as an added bonus. I was discharged by the doctor just a few months ago so no longer even need to go for check ups.

Hope this helps someone.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5bs0nt wrote

That is genius.

I'm totally stealing this 100%. I love experiments like this. Please message me, I'm going to start tonight!

Conor_Stewart t1_j5dn9xs wrote

The NHS supported you doing this? It seems very far outside of their normal treatment plan for IBD.

Bumchewer t1_j5eg83j wrote

Yeah they did, I was in hospital a lot at the time I was young mid twenties and didn’t want to go on a stoma. I had a great doctor, think he was one of the top guys in the country at the time and he gave it the ok. As expensive as the shakes are they were probably cheaper than me spending another month in hospital. I also tried all other meds but had life threatening side effects with a lot of them so it was a sort of last resort to get me of the steroids. The only drug that did actually work for me, for the 6months I was on it was remicade.

Conor_Stewart t1_j5ij9sx wrote

How long ago was this?

Also did you have any lasting effects from being on a liquid diet for that length of time with your bowel pretty much not working for the entire time you were in the liquid diet?

Bumchewer t1_j5imblw wrote

It was 2015 looking back at my photos. Yeah the lasting affect was I slowly got better from that point onwards. I was also on Remicade/Remsima started shortly after the shakes. But I was only on that for around 6months as I kept going in to anaphylaxis with it. Happened 3 times. The combination of the 2 in quick succession really helped me heal though and eating a good diet now has kept me that way. Will be 7 years now since I took any medication and over 5 since I’ve had any symptoms. I made lots of other changes as well but the shakes really stopped the downward spiral I was on and got me out of the being on steroids feeling better coming off steroids going in to a flare cycle.

DynamoBolero t1_j59vlgo wrote

Have you looked into remicade? It's working for my 99yo dad.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j59xl95 wrote

I'm currently on a similar drug Humira - I'm just waiting on test results to tell me if it's in the right dose range and if I'm resistant to it. My hospital admission suggests it might not be doing the trick.

​

I think remicade is the next bet - I know Mr Beast uses it for his Crohn's and he seems to be really healthy !

Sp_Streamer t1_j59z850 wrote

Hey! I have been on both please let me know if you have any questions!

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5a1efu wrote

I do have questions, thanks for offering !

Did Humira fail ? What dose were you on ? How was remicade ?

Sp_Streamer t1_j5a2e6m wrote

I had hospitalized twice. The first time Humira was around I don’t think. It was about 15 years ago. They put me on remicade and it worked instantly for me. It was through IV and I was on it for several months where I had to go to the hospital to get it. Humira I actually just came off of. It started with me taking 4 shots down to 2 then to one a month for years. I had a lot of skin side effects from it but it worked very well. I came off of it because when covid hit I got it and no one knew much so my doctor told me to come off it until I got rid of covid. I did and went back on it but basically built an immunity to it so there was no reason for it. I just take a pill now.

Bumchewer t1_j5bjcwj wrote

Humira never helped me at all remicade was a game changer. Fingers crossed for you.

Conor_Stewart t1_j5dmu17 wrote

Unfortunately since they don’t really know what causes Crohns, they also don’t know 100% how to treat it, so different treatments work for different people, there are a few that tend to be more effective for more people but you never know until you try them. Adalimumab (what is in Humira) worked for me but gave me some of the most unusual and severe side effects it can, like potentially a white matter lesion in my brain. The biologics are still relatively new and they don’t know the very long term effects of them and there are many different types within biologics, I am now getting put on vedolizomab (Entyvio), which works in a totally different way to adalimumab which is an anti TNF drug, the drugs work in different way and different areas of the body, adalimumab affects the whole body whereas vedolizomab only really affects the bowel. Since they don’t know what causes it, it takes time to find what type of medication works well for it.

So it is all very well people saying or recommending what drug worked for them or someone they know, but the disease is so varied that what worked for them might not work for you, any decent GI doctor knows of all these drugs, and should keep up with what new ones come out, and they probably have a much better idea of what is likely to work. It just takes trial and error and that does take a while.

SaintsStain t1_j5e45de wrote

( UK chronie here )

Your specialist or IBD nurse should be able to request antibody screening - I believe before you start Humira. Mine was really struck about it and insisted on re-testing before putting me back on Humira (tried usteki for a while) incase I developed antibodies.

You know your health best & I’m not trying to suggest your specialist missed anything - just that it may be beneficial to request Antibody screening before beginning your next biologic or biosimilar (if you do end up switching).

Sometimes my docs miss one or two things for a couple weeks because we are complex, and the NHS is drowning right now (god bless it). Mentioning it myself guarantees a slightly better quality of care/them remembering - and they never seem offended by my asking.

Wishing you all the best + spoons.

Zuzublue t1_j5a3yud wrote

This has been an interesting read! I have a friend who suffers with Crohns but is reached the point of defeat and is tired of seeing doctors with no other solutions and nothing working. I’m going to show her this thread and the possibility of remicade and a fecal transplant. As we know, not all doctors are proactive if the patient doesn’t push for new treatments. Thanks for your time and good wishes to you!I think I have to ask a question on an AMA- so when do you think you’re getting released?

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5a4mjk wrote

The mods havr closed this thread down. I'm not sure why.

Im glad it may help your friend though !

Im hoping to be out on Monday !

pursual t1_j5a4kwk wrote

Did you have any triggering experience? At what age did symptoms start to present, and what was the flow of the progression like?

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5bscv0 wrote

It started when I startrd smoking around 17 years old. But I was a pretty ill kid, asthma, eczma and stomach troubles.

The symptoms were extreme abdominal pain, dizziness and rectal bleeding. It then escelated to large bleeding and internal damage.

SaintsStain t1_j5e3m0e wrote

I just wanted to extend support after seeing you got mod-removed in the crohns forum, but mods removed my comment for not containing enough “?”, which I wasn’t aware was a rule?

I’m sorry this got removed for “not being rare enough”- but a car salesperson passes the subreddit rules? That seems like pretty clear bias in moderation?

Keep pushing (or, not pushing?)

Since I have to include a clear & direct question to avoid the power hungry mod : do you have a favorite flavour of ensure / fortisip / meal replacements ?

I’m also 12-ish years in with CD, Humira is helping but weight is the last thing I can’t get ahold of/control. I’ve tried most meal replacements and haven’t found any that are half decent yet.

Counymouny t1_j59x1zb wrote

Have you tried any medical marijuana to help you get some relief?

Counymouny t1_j59x5zr wrote

Might help with some weight gain from the increased appetite and nausea blocking effects

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j59xh0d wrote

I get asked this a lot !

I don't use cannabis but I use a legal derivative called CBD - it's good as a painkiller and it really dampens down my PTSD anxiety without any intoxicating effects (minor a nice relaxed sleepy feeling)

However, like you mentioned, it helps to alleviate the symptoms temporarily, but I'm more concerned about the internal effects the disease has and it's course on my life and future - cannabis unfortunately doesn't help wit that.

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j59y85q wrote

Also I'm not skinny !

People expect those with Crohn's to be frail and lanky but I'm around 180lbs at 175cm.

I try and lift a lot of weights and walk a lot. Also my go to safe foods are calorie dense and not considered healthy lmao. People see me eating potato chips, fries and chicken fingers and assume I'm making my disease worse ! Nothing I hate more than someone fit and well telling me I should eat dense fibrous foods like salads and raw fruit to be more healthy. Makes my blood boil

oskrawr t1_j5a2dpl wrote

Hi there! I know this might sound strange, but have you tried taking Ebastine to help remedy the symptoms? I am not diagnosed with Crohns disease but I've had similar problems and Ebastine has helped me a lot. I have taken one small pill every day for the last 3-4 years and it has made all the difference, and as soon as I stop taking them my issues start to reappear. Might be worth trying, although it's probably a long shot! :-)

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5a2uia wrote

It feels like I'm in a fight for my life so I'll take any weapons I can get!

Ebastine sounds interesting, I'm unsure about how its mechanism of action (antihistamine) would assist but there must be a reason why its helping you.

I'll definetly give this a google.

It always fills my heart with love when strangers take time out of their day to try and help me. Humans are good.

Conor_Stewart t1_j5dnlii wrote

Unfortunately there are a lot of conditions that can affect your bowel, if you aren’t diagnosed with IBD then it could be a lot of other things. If an antihistamine helps you then could it be possible your condition is an intolerance or minor allergy? Those are things that get a lot of benefit from antihistamines. Have you been checked for celiac?

IAmAModBot t1_j5a2kls wrote

Hello /u/CrohnsBoyTheThird,

Unfortunately, your topic does not meet our requirements for an AMA. Please consider posting in /r/CasualIAMA instead.

If you'd like to appeal, please click here to send a message to the moderator team.

^(This comment was made by a bot, but a real live human reviewed the post and made the decision.)

CrohnsBoyTheThird OP t1_j5brg8p wrote

The mods ended the thread and muted my appeal but thanks for your questions guys !

SaintsStain t1_j5e3pvz wrote

I hit appeal - I’m sorry this happened to your post. I really appreciated reading the thread.