Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DrVanadeepNCSU t1_j5udtai wrote

I am Vanadeep Kaluvagunta, who is taking the Wildland Fire Science (FOR 531) at NC State University this spring 2023 semester. I lived in Los Angeles from 2019 to 2021. I always was puzzled about the unabated frequent occurrence of bush fires every year despite having the best firefighters and meticulous mechanisms in place. Is it only due to the prevalent dry conditions (Santa Ana winds, etc.) or they are deliberately ignited by miscreants?

Prof_Fire OP t1_j5uirl6 wrote

Thanks for the question! Fire in California is very different from fire in the Southeastern U.S. (where I am based). It’s a combination of many factors that makes the wildfire situation so challenging out there. First, the climate (including the winds but also the hot, dry summers) is very conducive to fire. Second, the topography is complex and the mountainous landscapes also create a more challenging situation for controlling fire. And yes, human ignitions are a huge problem in California and across the globe - not just by ‘miscreants’ but also through accidental ignition related to vehicles, power lines, and other issues. Another thought is that we also have a ‘fire deficit’ in many landscapes - fires have been suppressed for decades or longer in many areas which creates a more flammable situation that is more vulnerable to burning at higher intensity. Finally, it’s also important to remember that fires are indeed natural in many Californian landscapes - so just because it’s a wildfire that may create challenges/hazards for people doesn’t mean it is totally unnatural and isn’t providing any ecological benefits.