Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Prof_Fire OP t1_j5uu28e wrote

That’s a good question and I’m sorry you had to experience the 2020 fires in Canberra. I hope you and your family are ok. I’m not a wildland firefighter, but I’m aware that the truly catastrophic fires that some areas have experienced in recent years have outpaced fire management organizations and capacity. Unfortunately, studies and models suggest that with a continually warming climate and decades of successful fire suppression in many areas, wildfires will continue to threaten many communities. Prescribed fire, mechanical fuel reduction, and limiting flammable vegetation close to buildings in wildland urban interface areas can help reduce the frequency and intensity of wildfires.

Other efforts to increase community and homeowner resilience are going to be important. Research has shown that in many cases structures ignite from wind blown embers. There are many resources that provide recommendations for home hardening, another activity that can help reduce the impact of risks like that: https://wildfirerisk.org/reduce-risk/home-hardening/