Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GoatPincher t1_j6oxnko wrote

Can you speak on getting an agent? Do you have one? How does that work and do they get you work?

chris_buck OP t1_j6p2x5i wrote

Yes, I have an agent in the US, and in Canada (where I grew up). The agents only represent me for commercial work, and not editorial assignments (as there is no money in magazines).

As a freelance photographer you're largely fending for yourself, and it can be pretty solitary, so having an agent in your corner is of real value. Plus, having a rep is a sign of stature, as not everyone can get one.

My agents take a percent of my advertising jobs, and otherwise I don't pay fees for just being on the roster, so it's a win-win situation. I have had an agent for over 25 years, so I have no illusions that they are the magic bullet to big money and constant assignments. Hence, I work hard to promote on my own and keep making great work.

The market place either has wants what you make, or it doesn't, no agent can get you jobs if the clients aren't interested in what you do.

GoatPincher t1_j6p7vrq wrote

Thank you for this thoughtful response. I’ve been a big fan of your work and it’s amazing to actually hear from you directly!