Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sir-lagrange t1_iuocb5j wrote

It is really first world privilege to say that dysentery doesn’t kill you and just makes you poop constantly.

You die from dehydration if you can’t find enough clean water which is still the case in some places today.

Rectal_Fungi t1_iuojrx4 wrote

We have a list of US presidents that died of diarrhea.

recumbent_mike t1_iuokpc1 wrote

More of a running total, really.

Rectal_Fungi t1_iuoqqyw wrote

Runny total, I imagine.

−30

thlayli_x t1_iuppk6v wrote

/r/yourjokebutworse

Rectal_Fungi t1_iupyppx wrote

What joke

−65

PM_ME_UR_WEIRD_HOBBY t1_iuqjua2 wrote

You missed the joke of the person you replied to, and then tried to make the same joke. But worse, because less subtle.

Rectal_Fungi t1_iuqkx0v wrote

Almost like that was the point. Seems the Down's woke up.

−45

NorthWindMN t1_iurx6km wrote

Maybe you making that point is the point of the subreddit.

NSA_Chatbot t1_iuopz43 wrote

Wasn't a lot of that from the bad water in the White House?

https://www.fwpcoa.org/content.aspx?page_id=2507&club_id=859275&item_id=1252&pst=7966

[deleted] t1_iuotvne wrote

[deleted]

Ok_Tangerine346 t1_iuoxesf wrote

Some places still is

Revolutionary-Stay54 t1_iupv45u wrote

Camp Lejeune and Flint have entered the conversation.

MuddyWaterTeamster t1_iuqyhny wrote

Jackson, Mississippi still can’t drink, cook, or bathe with their tap water, which has been coming out brown since August.

ihatethisjob42 t1_iurixau wrote

Damn is that still going on? I remember hearing that the issue would resolve by itself over time.

uniquepassword t1_iuqyr0l wrote

>Camp Lejeune

I swear this pops up more and more on TV now and I've even seen a few YouTube ads for it like wtf is this big news all of the sudden?

Globo_Gym t1_iupoydd wrote

Its why the Romans mixed wine with their water.

Spitdinner t1_iuq93k1 wrote

Beer is just water that’s both safe and fun for medieval Europeans.

SirPoopsackWilliams t1_iuohxx6 wrote

Good thing this game is for a first world audience and not targeted to people who can't even get clean water. That would be really insensitive otherwise.

It's Oregon trail dude. Not everything needs to be so serious.

[deleted] t1_iup8h0n wrote

[deleted]

Roxerz t1_iupopw1 wrote

Curious but how come seals and all the other animals shit naturally on the beach but we can't? Not that I would..

Gusdai t1_iur6c53 wrote

It's a matter of numbers.

One human sh*tting on the beach is fine. A whole village and it's not. Villages all along the coast doing it, that's an issue.

Animals don't usually live in the same numbers as humans; for animals living in large colonies I don't know how they avoid diseases. Maybe they don't, and their young ones dying of diarrhea is common?

For the story, New York City used to dump raw sewage out at sea, through a long pipe. It caused issues, so they tried to dump further at sea (for more dilution), but it never solved the issue, so they ended up treating their sewage instead, like a normal city.

Dshark t1_iuqc1ii wrote

We’re more susceptible to our own bacteria.

Source: I don’t have one. That’s pure lazy speculation.

−2

Jamessuperfun t1_iur26n6 wrote

>I thought the money would be better spent on plumbing, or to train local plumbers, but I guess that takes more time to payoff

Probably also a dramatic difference in the scale of the cost. Putting up some posters is much cheaper than building out infrastructure, and you still need people to decide to use it once built.

standardtrickyness1 t1_iuopo4f wrote

Serious question can't you pretty much make water safe to drink by boiling it?

He-is-climbing t1_iuouffq wrote

Sometimes, it depends what is contaminating the water. Boiling kills many common bacteria like salmonella and e-coli so water centers will send out boil advisories if they detect those types of contaminations and you will be fine in that case. Sometimes it isn't bacteria themselves that make you sick, but the waste products and those will remain after boiling (especially common if the water was stagnant). Sometimes water is unsafe because of chemical contamination and that is also unaffected by boiling.

Some bacteria and viruses can survive boiling, so it is more of a reduction of risk rather than truly making it safe.

OuidOuigi t1_iuoujzf wrote

Depends on where the water came from. Many things like heavy metals and harmful chemicals remain.

It would be a good idea to look up the information for yourself since you shouldn't take advice on Reddit. But mostly to know more about the different situations with the water you may come across.

TheThiefMaster t1_iuqbz09 wrote

To add to what others are saying, if the problem is chemical contamination you fix it by distillation, aka more boiling.

truthm0de t1_iurqqnj wrote

Thanks, came here to say the dehydration bit.

Epicritical t1_iuos05s wrote

Back in my day we had dysentery going uphill. Both ways.

3Cheers4Apathy t1_iupmhkc wrote

And you added on your fingers and when you had to subtract you had them amputated.

orion1836 t1_iuoa7d8 wrote

Sounds like a shitty remake :)

PretendsHesPissed t1_iuow58c wrote

Whenever I hear of something shitty, I think of my brother.

My brother recently got dysentery and kicked the bucket.

That’s why we use a toilet now.

JusticiarRebel t1_iup0hzk wrote

I found most medical problems in that game could be solved by stopping and resting until that person was healed. Increasing rations also helped. Of course the tradeoff is wasted time and resources.

Roxerz t1_iupoyzz wrote

Get out of here with your sound logic. We got Oregon to trail.

ocooper08 t1_iup49x2 wrote

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Poop

Khaldara t1_iuqzqn9 wrote

> ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Poop

• Golden Corral

Assika126 t1_iup7gfn wrote

I just found out that dysentery is, by definition, diarrhea with blood in it. Thanks Google, guess I just have the regular shits

catnip-catnap t1_iuplffc wrote

Cool, instead of ulcerative colitis I can say I have dysentery, that sounds way more badass

ShastaMcLurky t1_iup60f6 wrote

I thought I had it figured out. I was 3/4 across the country skipping a poop and relieving every other one. Then the dirty breeches got me. I died dissin’ Terry

4-HO-MET- t1_iv7s5h7 wrote

I was so mad. I can’t for the love of fuck stop EVERY TWO DAYS?

Then you skip one and DONE

PrincessBubblegummm t1_iupkgep wrote

My city has a current outbreak of Shigella which is basically the same as dysentery. Sad :(

jdhyman t1_iuoschu wrote

Wasn’t that the worst?! Lol

RacingMindsI t1_iuqikt0 wrote

Constant pooping does however kill you...

wargy2 t1_iupgiiq wrote

That was well worth the quick play.

_AlreadyTaken_ t1_iupd0c4 wrote

The colitis wagon train. They marked their route all the way from St Louis.

Sok_Taragai t1_iupky73 wrote

Or just get some Taco Bell and LARP it.

Haephestus t1_iupsf1g wrote

It won't let me buy rolls of TP after a while. The mechanic is broken.

Jay_TThomas t1_iuod9wo wrote

Well that’s not realistic. Dumb as hell

−27

Steez_Whiz t1_iuomj2a wrote

Lol no one's making you play this dumb, obvious-joke version of an ancient video game. why care this hard?

hippyengineer t1_iuovlr1 wrote

It took dude 4 seconds to type his comment. If he made a 4 page diatribe you’d have a point.

AnaBanona t1_iuor06v wrote

Did you know you could just keep scrolling? You should try it sometime.

−6

firstwaswhen t1_iuou56w wrote

To be fair he is just offering his opinion. Nothing wrong with that. Although it is kinda silly.