Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

No-Opening-3859 t1_iww8gtt wrote

I remember an app on my Dell Streak used to do this. Of course that was 3g so didn't work to great.

Ozzs55 OP t1_iww9h6m wrote

Hey man thanks for the comment! I would really appreciate it if you could also star MonoBox's repo ⭐

−25

SamyIAm t1_iwwyu3i wrote

interesting idea but imo id probably just transfer them from my computer to my phone so i dont have to use data/stream them

Ozzs55 OP t1_iwy9phc wrote

hey bro thanks for your feedback!

Just to clarify, when I began developing MonoBox, I did not plan to replace another popular music player, but rather to provide an alternate method of listening to songs from the phone via the PC.

MonoBox is still under development and I would greatly appreciate it if you could star the repo! ⭐

trade_my_onions t1_iwxppqk wrote

I have literally been trying to get this to work for months by setting up a server on my desktop or some form of sftp or ssh connection to VLC media player. But all my music is downloaded from soulseek and I don’t pay for any streaming services what so ever so honestly I’ll try and set this up and see if it actually works.

trade_my_onions t1_iwxq488 wrote

Ok so I’m now seeing you have to be on the same network. Op if I have a static IP address can I remote into this through port 5000 if I open it on the firewall? Because otherwise it’s useless I already setup UPnP for my home network and can see all my files through VLC.

Also does it support flac audio? More than half my library is flac.

Ozzs55 OP t1_iwyaaak wrote

hey man thanks for taking the time to make a comment!

Just to clarify, MonoBox is still in development, and all comments and feedback from people like you, who take interest in my project, are recorded and added to my ever-growing to-do list haha 😁

Regarding your question - MonoBox does not yet support flac files at this stage, but only mp3 files, although I am aware of the high demand for flac support, so this is high on my priority list.

Also, I'd appreciate it greatly if you could star the repo! ⭐

Muse91 t1_iwy6kij wrote

You might get away with even a changing IP address if you can set up dynamic DNS on your router. Although these days even port forwarding can be an issue since a lot of providers put people behind CGNAT (you can check if you are behind CGNAT by going to whatsmyip and comparing address to CGNAT range).

elrugmunchero t1_iwxp077 wrote

There wasn't a media player app on my phone, so I'm using VLC anyway

Ozzs55 OP t1_iwy9wgm wrote

hey man, thank you for your comment!

I'm glad you found a convenient way to listen to your favorite music haha

my intention here with MonoBox was not to replace Spotify or any other music player; rather, I came to present my project in the hopes that it would receive some attention and recognition

anyways, I hope you have a good one and don't forget to star my repo! 😀⭐

BaalBla t1_iwxwrtz wrote

I'm a simple guy. I see FastAPI, I upvote, look at the source and probably use (I do stream my music daily with remotr desktop, if there's plans for other native clients then it could be a game changer!) 👏👏

Ozzs55 OP t1_iwyad3p wrote

haha I like your attitude and way of thinking man!

I would absolutely appreciate it if you could star the repo as well! ⭐

Khal_Doggo t1_iwy7ycd wrote

What's the benefit of this over something like Jellyfin?

Ozzs55 OP t1_iwyau6l wrote

hey man, thanks for commenting here!

My intention with MonoBox was for it to receive some attention and recognition, I never really meant to fill any gap in the market or anything

Also, everything is a learning experience and I'm really proud of what I made here haha

Have a good one and I will greatly appreciate it if you will star my repo! ⭐

Khal_Doggo t1_iwydcu3 wrote

Wasn't saying it was redundant just wondering if this does anything different / better

jackmax9999 t1_iwwrxrr wrote

Uhhh.... Why? I have 128 GB of storage on my phone, I can just put my whole music library on it, so why stream it from my computer...?

For me the whole point of Spotify or other online music services is discovering new stuff and being able to listen to songs I haven't downloaded yet.

I see you put a lot of work into this app, but I struggle to think of anyone that could sensibly make use of it, maybe except for people with absolutely massive libraries.

−1

app4that t1_iwxk6ps wrote

I know a few folks who are older and do not use their phones for music but would love this from a computer to stream to their phone - it's a cool idea and gets us all away from the music industry and advertising industry hegemony.

Ozzs55 OP t1_iwy9cjy wrote

hey guys thank you so much for taking the time to comment here! I appreciate the feedback!

Regarding your question u/jackmax9999 - my intention was not to replace Spotify or any other music player; rather, I came to present my project in the hopes that it would receive some attention and recognition and maybe even see some daylight haha 🌞

MonoBox was never meant to fill any gap in the market.

Have a good one and I will greatly appreciate it if you guys will star my repo! ⭐