Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bringbrong t1_izfx87d wrote

That's not how it works at all. It has a list of 1001 albums that have been deemed classic or influential, and gives you a new one every day you log in. The descriptions are interesting as well as they walk you through why each album was chosen.

CarelessLeg1 t1_izfxyay wrote

Been doing this for a while and i love it. Quickly turns into a daily habit.

I love it a bit extra today as it gave me one of my favorite albums this morning: Horses by Patti Smith!

quiet-andbi t1_izg2de9 wrote

this is a cool idea! i like the relatively minimal design and the user-input reviews. seems like it would make it hard for racists/misogynists/etc. that would normally come out of the woodwork to give negative reviews to POC/women/etc. since they can't just sort by project (as far as i can tell).

damnitsdarkoutside t1_izg4gph wrote

You're right, you can only review what's been generated for you, which makes it even more fun reading the reviews, especially some of the 1:s can be truly amusing.

I'm half way through this and rarely stumble upon racism/etc in the reviews but whenever i do they can be reported to the admin at /r/1001AlbumsGenerator and its dealt with.

This is a great app.

CardNGold t1_izgcy3d wrote

This is so cool!

Just started and the first album is King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King." (1969). I never would have listened to this on my own and I am looking forward to see what the next day brings.

londoner4life t1_izgmlgy wrote

Expand your musical horizons - thumbnail of most popular albums of all time.

Gnostromo t1_izgoe67 wrote

I was excited to expand my musical horizons until I got hit with sound garden

That's about as unexpanded a horizon as you can get

DoktoroKiu t1_izgx4la wrote

Depending on what your existing tastes are, sure. There are probably a lot more people than you think who have not listened to them, or only have heard the most popular songs in other media.

bigdsm t1_izh2m2e wrote

Oh man what a killer album and one of the pioneers of a kickass genre.

If you loved it, check out Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, and Gentle Giant (I assume most people have heard Pink Floyd and Rush, but those are also good ones to check out if this is all new to you).

If you want to see where that genre went in a much more modern context, try Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, or Thank You Scientist on for size.

swabfalling t1_izhkire wrote

The reviews are some of my favourite parts after I’ve rated the one I’ve listened to.

The reviews for The Hangman’s Beautiful Daughter are some of the funniest things I’ve ever read in my life, and made even better by the catharsis I felt knowing it wasn’t just me.

Vincenius_ t1_izi4a4g wrote

It's a great project - I recently made an adaptation of this - A Spotify playlist that gets updated automatically every day with one of those albums :)

playlist.lol

amstobar t1_izigjjm wrote

So, if I start today and listen to an album a day, I will die in the next three years?

DennisRockon t1_izitvzu wrote

280/1001 at the moment. Feel like i haven't really found many new artist or albums i like to be honest. Seems like allot of what makes an album great is the personal experience.

But i keep at it to challange my taste.

ThorsGrundle t1_izju0uo wrote

Day 1 some Herbie Hancock.. I'm curious and skeptical on the amount of personalizing it could be pulling from my known musical tastes like Spotify, YouTube, etc

ironyburger t1_izkdtnl wrote

This is so cool! My first suggested album was Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti, which is definitely not one I would have chosen to list to, given my own devices.