Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

theKovah OP t1_j1mkfzj wrote

I would love to hear some feedback and ideas. Always looking for ways to improve the site. :)

Smarty-Pants65 t1_j1mv4vb wrote

I mean stumble upon just had years of learning and adapting it’s algorithms im sure. A lot of the time when I use this site I have the pop up saying “this site can’t be viewed unless you click here for the full site” which is odd.

theKovah OP t1_j1n71n7 wrote

Sadly, this is just a security measurement that both browsers and websites must or can enforce.

For example, you can’t embed any http website if https is enabled. Additionally, websites can tell browsers that they don’t want to be embedded anywhere.

SpeedAtNight t1_j1niodi wrote

You're probably gonna have a lot of hits for that StumbleUpon nostalgia, but sadly the internet isn't what it was back then so I imagine the results can be a bit more generic or like you say, have security requirements requiring a direct load on the site.

Best of luck, I'd recommend you find some feature or concept that entices people to keep using your service. Nostalgia is great and all, but people get bored quickly.

Might be worth putting in a toggle option to ignore sites that won't render on your website directly. Not sure how you'd do it, but I imagine you could make it seamless to the user and if the page throws a security error just move to the next site to display.

theKovah OP t1_j1nkrot wrote

Thank you for your honest feedback. I agree that the internet is definitely something else today. Fortunately, there is no need to "grow" or keep anyone on the site by all means. I just hope that people enjoy the site and remember it every now and then.

>Might be worth putting in a toggle option to ignore sites that won't render on your website directly.

You can do than when signed in, with the "Hide Sites that can't be displayed directly" option in your account settings. Probably something that can be made mode visible.

saltpot3816 t1_j1q1m1t wrote

I know this is a whole other project, but could do do this as a standalone app, essentially a custom built web browser (eg based on chromium)? Or maybe for desktop, could build as a chrome extension, and a mobile app?

Aaron215 t1_j1n1o3a wrote

On mobile when I go to a site that Cloudhiker can't display directly, I have no way to go back and favourite the site on my account. Finding a way to do that without going into history to do it would be helpful.

stephen_1975 t1_j1nqg6w wrote

My initial feedback after my first five minutes checking this out: a huge amount of sites I get only display this. Overall, all the sites it "stumbles upon" seem to have a very strong bias towards STEM topics, history, etc.

Nothing wrong with that at all in my opinion either, but many tend to be at a level that might require quite a bit of familiarity and/or studies that could be daunting for Joe Blow to even get why they are interesting or neat. Maybe the focus could be broadened somewhat, perhaps with a feature allowing me to select some baseline topics I'm interested in first, tech, video games, etc. As it is now, it doesn't feel particularly 'random' and many of the links aren't super 'casual' on first glance. Funnily enough, many of the sites that don't allow Cloudhiker here are really only where I'm seeing the quirkier stuff.

I'm not a programmer type, sorry if I can't really explain it more coherently than that. :)

get_the_reference_ t1_j1oywho wrote

When I use Cloudhiker from my browser on PC, I sometimes "overclick" and end up jumping past something that I realize too late is of interest. Unfortunately, I can't go back, and my browser does not record my visit in the browser history, so the site is forever lost to me. Perhaps there is a Cloudhiker history list that could help, but I haven't gone much deeper than clicking the Stumble button so far. I used SU several years ago and really enjoyed it. The privacy issues that make it necessary to click through to many sites makes this a clunkier alternative to the original, but I still like it and would use it more often if there was a way to "go back." Thanks for the clicks!

jaccerz83 t1_j1nkoc4 wrote

do what SU did and did well. Do not become what SU became at the end. (If this makes sense)

I spent many hours on SU going thru random websites and I actually was thinking about how i missed SU last week, when i had that bored of playing games feeling.

17laxbro t1_j1p0u6h wrote

Honestly. A NSFW version of the site would be cool.