Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cyph_8 t1_j2s4xzx wrote

Why does the website feel like font size 300? Is this only me?

cyph_8 t1_j2s5v30 wrote

Ahh, because my screen is 32"... Should a font size range be part of UX laws?

LegendOfVinnyT t1_j2sbtfs wrote

The 22nd law states that information density is for suckers. Make everything touchable by someone wearing boxing gloves, even on keyboard+mouse interfaces.

Dakar-A t1_j2sdlpp wrote

Touch/clickability is a concern! The general rule I've heard is that you want at minimum a 1 cm by 1 cm square target for anything you want users to touch on a mobile interface.

LegendOfVinnyT t1_j2sjml5 wrote

That's true, but too many designers stop at mobile and decide that "it should scale to desktop". That's how you get, well, The Laws of UX's site. It's only "progressive" in the sense that it can tell phones from not-phones, but it treats everything that's not a phone like the same device. My 11" tablet, 13" laptop, and 27" desktop monitor all show exactly 1 1/2 rows of 3 cards.

Dakar-A t1_j2smem1 wrote

Yes, that's generally how things shake out. This one seems like a personal project more than anything, but in my experience it's a miracle if you can convince a company that having separate mobile and desktop interfaces is advisable, much less getting buy-in for a fully scaling interface that adapts to screen size.

It's also difficult because outside of fully regular gridded interfaces (which, in all fairness, this site is), there are diminishing returns once you hit desktop size. And user flows can be interrupted or the false bottom effect (where there is content beyond the bottom of the screen, but the user doesn't realize it's there because what they can see cleanly cuts off at the bottom of the screen) can come into play if an interface is designed to scale with screen size.

foxtrotfire t1_j2sk3ft wrote

Unless it's a 'close', 'X' or 'reject all' button in which case it should be a 1 mm by 1 mm target blended in with the background.

Dakar-A t1_j2slkt7 wrote

Yep lmao! Those, and various other psychological or design tricks to manipulate people into doing or not doing something the company/product/designer wants are called "dark patterns".

408wij t1_j2tndmt wrote

For PowerPoint, Guy Kawasaki recommends the minimum font size equals the age of the oldest person in the audience.

Neutronic- t1_j2vwiz9 wrote

It’s usually considered a User Interface design thing (making the site look nice) versus UX, however it certainly could impact UX

xcygnusx t1_j2sd59p wrote

I miss the days when web design was centered on having all information and links together on the screen without the need to scroll around. Ever since web 2.0 and touch screens, now we get gigantic fonts, minimalist unlabeled icons, and fancy scrolling effects.