Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jermleeds t1_j202emt wrote

A really not fun fact: the original meaning of the term 'faggot' was 'sticks to be burned', which also explains the British slang for cigarette 'fag'. So this joke, such as it is, kinda glibly ignores, or maybe even leans into, a whole history of brutal homophobia in which gay people often paid with their lives. So sorry to get all schoolmarm on you, but this joke kinda sucks.

oxichil t1_j2095yy wrote

Lol [deleted], yeah fuck off that’s not a joke we all know what the word means.

DiamondYuriy t1_j201zc9 wrote

I am gay af and I just shared this joke with my friends. Well played. I giggled. 😂

GU2CU t1_j2003m9 wrote

Flaring and flaming

CuddlingWolf t1_j2035zg wrote

Yeah.. I dunno about this one. It's specifically mocking the victims, as opposed to mocking the other side of the situation, which is what really good humor on controversial topics tends to do. A lot of comedians can tell you about punching up vs. punching down and the concept of thin simple humor as a very basic veil used to legitimize or even permit actual hatred. The point being that even if *you* (OP) are not a homophobe, you should be aware that any actual homophobes are currently saying "hell yeah, this guy gets it" and feeling more comfortable about themselves right now.

The only question that's valid.. is whether you are personally comfortable with them thinking you're "one of the boys".

Also, this actually happens, and recently. This was just the first result I found:
https://www.out.com/news/2021/4/28/two-gay-men-set-fire-horrific-hate-crime

Funky_Dancing_Gnome t1_j2044rj wrote

I can assume what the joke was from context but why is he just deleted now? Is it an overreaction by then or does it make sense?

Just trying to learn things for better understandings on things so any help would be great.

jermleeds t1_j20exlc wrote

The joke was in absurdly poor taste, wasn't funny, and shouldn't have been made in the first place. When that was pointed out to OP, he deleted it.

Funky_Dancing_Gnome t1_j20fri9 wrote

Ah OK, I get it now. Thanks for the help!

Been getting good help lately, I do appreciate it a lot :)

Wildeherz t1_j1zzwuf wrote

This in poor taste.

−2

[deleted] OP t1_j2009a3 wrote

[deleted]

dust_in_light t1_j201epb wrote

In order to be a joke, dark or otherwise, it has to be funny. That is the only caveat and it’s not well represented here.

[deleted] OP t1_j2023s9 wrote

[deleted]

dust_in_light t1_j202zv3 wrote

I would read the content of u/jermleeds your joke highlights some of the saddest and most hurtful of aspects of being gay: namely that people used to set us on fire. Being gay is still punishable by death in some countries.