Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BluePhantom32 t1_j6ccpx6 wrote

This joke could also work for soccer fans. Substitute Ronaldo for Gretzky and have him mistaking his wife for saying, “Messi, eh?”

psihonix t1_j6cen4z wrote

For me, not knowing who Messier is, it worked with Gretzky and Messi aswell :) both legends

Klaus0225 t1_j6dli0u wrote

For me not knowing who Messier or Messi is I didn’t get it into I read the comments.

Drs83 t1_j6cjzk3 wrote

Dude, really?

Messier

−132

StekenDeluxe t1_j6cmk90 wrote

Many, many, many people do not follow ice hockey.

its_a_gibibyte t1_j6d23q8 wrote

Even people who follow ice hockey don't neccesarily look up classic ice hockey. Messier won the canada cup in 1984, 1987, and 1991. Anyone who remembers watching those games is at least 40 at this point.

sashaaa123 t1_j6crqxd wrote

Literally the only hockey player I know is Wayne Gretzky, and that's just because people talk about him all the time on reddit.

str85 t1_j6eq00q wrote

I'm a Swedish person who has zero interest in sports really, i could probably name 20+ NHL players from the 90s and all teams... Reason, those damn hockey cards we all collected. Pokemon wasn't really invented when I was that age but the need to collect cards was strong.

Not sure why I'm sharing this life story btw...

sashaaa123 t1_j6er7u4 wrote

Isn't hockey somewhat popular in Sweden? I'm from Italy and I don't know anyone who watches or plays hockey

str85 t1_j6hf16w wrote

It is, but that doesn't help if your not really in to sports ;)

Bcruz75 t1_j6euvgk wrote

Got any Foppa cards?

str85 t1_j6hf3yi wrote

Not sure if i have any left, but definitely had some from his time in Modo.

borgcubecubed t1_j6ferbl wrote

I’m curious, is Messier a name you knew then?

str85 t1_j6hf65p wrote

Without cheating or googling, Mark? Is that the first name?

TheTree_43 t1_j6ejuep wrote

It definitely works better with Gretzky and Moose because of the Canadian "eh"