Submitted by AdolescenceOfP1 t3_121np99 in LifeProTips

I'm starting to lose it. There are so many sheets that are either deadringers for each other, or so close in color after multiple washings that they might as well be. And some King sets collapse down into what looks like the Full sets we have for the kids.

FFS!!!

If I take out and unfold one more set of sheets for the wrong size bed, I'm going to lose it.

^(yeah, yeah, decaf will help)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Missus_Aitch_99 t1_jdmj9pk wrote

How about storing each room’s sheets in that room rather than all in one closet?

AdolescenceOfP1 OP t1_jdmjlu7 wrote

Two kids rooms. Plus, it's hard to tell what's what when washing/drying them. Sometimes a Full sheet will get mixed into a king set.

Is there some click on thing I can tag these with?

How do you people do it? Is this a Y chromosome failing of mine?

Missus_Aitch_99 t1_jdmmrh7 wrote

Well our beds are either twin or queen, so when folded it’s easy to tell the difference. And my daughter took over her own laundry when she turned ten, so there are never multiple sizes of sheets in the same load. Maybe you could get a certain color for each size bed, when it gets to be time for new sheets.

amkica t1_jdmmj3x wrote

Why not make yourself keep it on separate piles and tag those piles with some glued piece of paper on the shelf? This requires extra attention while folding, too, though, to keep it separate

truefforte t1_jdmmevt wrote

To make life easy never wash all the sheets at same time. So kid’s sheets one day king sheets another day. Then you can keep sorted sheets sorted.

For the future buy different colored sheets for each bed.

For now label every tag with different sharpie. So black for king, red for twin etc. Or if you can sew sew a tiny ribbon tag or dot several places on the sheet to make it obvious what size it is.

To store put in clear spaces so king on top shelf and twins on bottom etc. or is separate bins or whatever makes sense so it once sorted you know what it is.

To make sets of sheets make them into sets so put a set in each pillowcase or fold set into and wrapped by a sheets.

Art_Vandelay_Jr_ t1_jdmjcsg wrote

The tag typically has the size on it. When you fold the sheets just make sure the tag is visible. I told my sheets inside out so I can do this. It also keeps any dust from getting on the sleeping side of the sheet.

If the tag doesn’t have the size, write it on there.

Goferprotocol t1_jdmm7xg wrote

Why all sheet tags don't have their size and location of the tag printed prominently is beyond me. I want large print that says KING - BOTTOM LEFT. How hard is that?

Useless_Advice_Guy t1_jdmkwp9 wrote

I write the size on the tag with a marker

gmmiller t1_jdmsgwy wrote

I write BOTTOM on the bottom of the fitted sheets so I don't play the rotate game.

EyedLuvUTo t1_jdmjsn6 wrote

I have two suggestions - I’ve used both successfully. 1. Consider putting them in different places when you fold them. The king sheets go in this place, the queen in this place, etc. 2. Buy some different colored clothes pins and when you fold them, put a specified color on the front of the folded sheets. So, in the stack, you can quickly assess which sheets are what size.

I’ve also started folding the fitted sheet and pillow cases. Then folding the top sheet in such a way that it wraps around the fitted sheet and pillow cases, so it’s all one stack.

I hope these tips help!

AdolescenceOfP1 OP t1_jdmlmgd wrote

Because of the way the kids might rummage through the closet, I've taken to just folding and putting everything into a single pillow case for the set. Nice and (mostly) tidy. Even stacks, so long as it's folded on the inside.

For identifying when I take them out of the dryer, someone mentioned that the tags have the sizes. I just checked, and the ones I see don't. They just have code numbers.

There's got to be a better way other than buying all bright red for the kids and everything else for us, because that's what I'm close to doing.

IntergalacticPuppy t1_jdmnllj wrote

Separate shelves or separate closets is the easiest.

We have a single linen closest. In our house, we fold the queen-sized sheets and roll the twins. Flat sheets go on one shelf; fitted on the shelf below. It’s easy to know what to grab by sight then.

AdolescenceOfP1 OP t1_jdmymks wrote

See, I debated storing the sheet parts separately (flat's here, fitted's there)... It seemed like even more chaos sooner or later with crummy colors to match.

Does that really work for you?

IntergalacticPuppy t1_jdo3i5i wrote

It does. Also folding them differently - that helps a lot. I think what helps the most is having a system and being consistent when you put them away. Then it just becomes simple and painless when you need them.

IntergalacticPuppy t1_jdo3r5g wrote

Edit: oh, and not washing all the sheets together. Kids sheets go in with kids clothes, so those are obviously twin sheets.

Adult bed sheets go in with adult bath towels, so those are obviously queen sized sheets. Keep the different sized sheets separate when you wash them.

blumpkinator2000 t1_jdmq5mj wrote

Sew a button onto a corner or tag, using different colours for different sizes. Perhaps blue for single, red for king etc., or whatever works for you.

keepthetips t1_jdmiqxl wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

MyNameIsSkittles t1_jdmkcwj wrote

Store them in different drawers or on different shelves.

AdolescenceOfP1 OP t1_jdmxnhz wrote

Doesn't help with the washload, taking them out of the dryer, yada...

MyNameIsSkittles t1_jdn51o2 wrote

Seperate them before you wash them. Wash in batches closest to each other. Like king and queen together, smaller sheets seperate or something

seantabasco t1_jdmoccu wrote

I have a couple of ideas but they aren’t overnight fixes: • next time you have to buy a new mattress try to work toward having more of the same sizes • when you buy sheets try to get color schemes that coordinate with only certain size beds (i.e. all your king size sheets are blue hues, your full size sheets are green, your twin sheets are red, etc)

plasticenewitch t1_jdmqihj wrote

I write the size on the sheet with a sharpie.

CritterAlleyMom t1_jdmt7of wrote

Get some of those blanket storage bags and pull everythunv out of the closet. Sort it all and label the bags. They stack well if the sheets are folded neatly.

stacey-e-clark t1_jdo69ae wrote

I put dots on each bottom corner with a permanent marker - 1 for twin, 2 for full, 3 for queen, 4 for king. It’s very discreet but effective and doesn’t wash out.

Alternative-Boot2673 t1_jdpgwjb wrote

If all bed sheets are the same color, wash sets separately. Assign a permanent marker pen color for each size or bedroom, and mark either top 2 or bottom 2 elastic corners of fitted sheet (same location for mark, different color for sizes or bedroom). Pillowcases get washed same time as sheets. You can handstitch an X in colored thread but bleach may ruin it.

Alternative-Boot2673 t1_jdpnxit wrote

Perhaps use safety pins at or near corner, to indicate size (ie, 1 for king, 2 for for queen, etc), for all parts of set.

Somethingdifferent39 t1_jdqgqw6 wrote

Take a hole punch and punch a hole in the tag on your kids sheets. Boom solved.

wellcolourmetired t1_jdql6bl wrote

Darn some colour thread into the corner/ pillow tag. Store folded in each pillow case.