Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Kallusim t1_jdhtq4q wrote

Amazon photos gives you unlimited storage if you have a prime account, so I've been using that

GalumphingWithGlee t1_jdk57b2 wrote

Unlimited for photos, but I still ran out of video space very quickly on Amazon photos.

Meanwhile, Google Photos is also unlimited for photos if you have a Google Pixel phone, which I do, but they require you to save them at slightly lower quality for that.

Amazon allows full quality, but if I don't stay a Prime member forever...

Kallusim t1_jdkaofr wrote

Fair enough. I don't end up doing very many videos, but do end up with a lot of pictures, so I guess I've been lucky in that regard so far. I honestly hadn't realized there was a limit on the videos.

And yeah, the requirement of a prime membership is a thing. I do end up using it, so it's worth it most of the time, but there are definitely times it seems more trouble than it's worth

GalumphingWithGlee t1_jdkh6x1 wrote

For now, I'm a Prime member as well, and I use it, so I might as well take advantage of the photos. Not sure if I'll always keep it, but it's "free" in the sense of no additional cost, if you're already doing that. They have a 5GB limit for videos, which we ran out of very quickly, but no limit for photos.

Meanwhile, if you have a Pixel phone, which my wife and I both do, Google provides infinite storage for photos, as long as you back them up in "high quality" instead of "original quality". The quality is generally good enough for my purposes, so I effectively have unlimited photo storage on both Google Photos and Amazon Photos.

Google's unlimited photos (for Pixel users) also doesn't cover videos. We take way more photos than videos, but one individual video can end up occupying a lot of space, so we've hit our limit and had to go back and delete stuff several times. Given that the limiting factor on our Google storage is the videos, and Amazon's storage has even smaller limits for the videos than Google does, Amazon's service doesn't help much with my storage limits on Google. It's nice that I get unlimited quality on Amazon, but it doesn't help with the quantity limits in any meaningful way.

Definitely some of that stuff is specific to me, though, so if it helps much more for you, more power to ya!

Lqc_sa t1_jdgv8e8 wrote

Sorry I back mine up on external sd as I go along so this didn't apply to me. But def do so before uninstalling.