Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

IsDinosaur t1_jdsiar0 wrote

‘I don’t want to hurt your feelings and I’ve been sleeping with your mother for 5 months’

ValkyrieKitten OP t1_jdsifge wrote

Really!? I thought she was dead for 30 years and I really want her number!

−12

deadplant_ca t1_jdsq9mu wrote

I'm sorry, she made it clear she's not accepting new customers.

ozgun1414 t1_jdsjqs7 wrote

i dont wanna hurt your feeling but it doesnt work like that.

mlfblf t1_jdsm8ge wrote

No. Each serves a different purpose. Use the correct one. #grammar

Small-Explorer7025 t1_jdsrfdm wrote

I don't want to hurt your feelings and this is a crap LPT.

martusfine t1_jdsm241 wrote

I feel that But is a “cancelling word” and used best when cancelling a negative whereas And is an enhancing word

For instance, your room is still messy BUT thank you for starting the cleaning process. (Cancels out the negative)

Thank you for cleaning your room AND I know you’ll keep it up. (Enhances the positive, where a But would cancel out the person’s work.)

Great LPT and your tip will help others!

Sufficient_Focus t1_jdsscpr wrote

In your example the end result would be "your room is still messy and thank you for starting the cleaning process" which is grammatically incorrect. Your "positive" example is a different sentence entirely. This is a bad LPT.

martusfine t1_jdsy8pl wrote

Ok mate I got you but you’re still not fun at parties.

−1

CollinUrshit t1_jdtx1lz wrote

I think it’s a good tip and like your explanation too. Are you familiar with NLP? Correct grammar doesn’t really matter when you’re trying to persuade in a conversation.

keepthetips t1_jdsi0g0 wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

ikantolol t1_jdsjm8x wrote

"sir, this won't work, the nuke would eradicate all the zombies, yes, and all the non-zombies people would die too"

"great! do it!"

Flair_Helper t1_jdyg7ec wrote

Hello ValkyrieKitten, thank you for your submission! Unfortunately, it has been removed for the following reason:

Your tip is about a restricted/prohibited topic. It may be common sense, illegal in the United States, unethical, political, medical, an advertisement, related to parenting, relationships, driving, the law, religion, or hygiene, or otherwise disallowed in /r/LifeProTips. This list is not exhaustive. Moderators may remove posts considered to deviate from the spirit of the subreddit.

If you would like to appeal this decision please feel free to contact the moderators here. Do not repost without explicit permission from the moderators. Make sure you read the rules before submitting. Thank you!

No-Explanation-3577 t1_jdsjy4l wrote

I think the “yes and” method works well for validating someone’s opinion, while also making sure you get to say your own (often, conflicting) opinion. I personally wouldn’t use this as a method for apologizing or trying to say sorry in any way

PressIntoYa t1_jdsodoh wrote

I also like just ending the first part as a sentence and then the second thought as its own.

People tend to subconsciously disregard the first half if it's followed by a "but".