Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

EmersonLucero t1_iue792e wrote

Keep a cookie sheet in the oven. Just pull it out and place on top pot, pan to stop the fire. Without all the mess and maybe able to save the food you are cooking

lifeonachain99 t1_iue4lnm wrote

There are extinguishers that can handle all regular fires as well as grease fires

Blueroflmao t1_iueubdd wrote

Thats a stretch to say the least. Fire extingushers wont always put out a grease fire, and its horribly inconvenient. Most fire extinguishers DO put out the fire, but they make a gigantic fucking mess and damages furniture and appliances (thats the cost of not burning your house down)

A grease fire is so stupidly easy to deal with, that "use a fire extinguisher" might be the worst advice here.

Put the lid on, put a baking tray over, throw baking soda in. Dont bust out the fire extinguisher for a contained fire that you can stop in 7 other ways long before the extinguisher is necessary.

random8002 t1_iufue9q wrote

shouldnt you put the baking soda on the flames before putting a lid on it? instructions unclear

DangReb00t t1_iufz9rg wrote

That was a LIST of 3 separate viable options. Not 3 steps for one solution.

Blueroflmao t1_iugr58z wrote

But also, yes. If baking soda alone doesnt do it, toss a lid on it.

As a general rule, do both if you can, but try the lid first.

anorwichfan t1_iuf7x8l wrote

Fat fires tend to have their own classification, not Class B. Typically they use Wet Chemical extinguishers. Dry Powder will technically work but they are not the best.

I'd consider this good advice if you are deep fat frying.

G3N3Parmesan t1_iuezk19 wrote

Also know the difference between baking soda and baking powder.

Kindbud420 t1_iuevc9n wrote

i can't be the only one who keeps a box of 99 cent baking soda in the fridge, am I ?!?

drengr84 t1_iufuxzu wrote

That's not enough for a small stovetop fire. A $13 bag (gallon, I think) will be enough for most stovetop fires, and it will remain powder if you never open it. As soon a you open baking soda it will start absorbing moisture and become a solid brick in a few months.

Pandelerium11 t1_iuf8apz wrote

Thank you for posting this! Terrific LPT.

A small open tub (think cottage cheese or yogurt tub) with a scoop kept underneath the sink has saved my house/life twice now. Once for sure. I turned on the stove at a client's house and little did I know, they had spilled a grease drippings jar into the stove top. 2 foot flames instantly. Luckily I had just bought baking soda for this very reason, so fire averted.

Baking soda is also a great cleaner that is safe on most pans.

Merkenfighter t1_iugue0b wrote

Or you could just get a fire blanket.

keepthetips t1_iue3y6j wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

secretid89 t1_iufn47y wrote

I think kosher salt also works.

random8002 t1_iufuu4d wrote

do bankers get their own special brand of soda or something?

kelownew t1_iuebnue wrote

> We use banking soda

That sounds expensive. Maybe a fire extinguisher would be cheaper?

−2

ledow t1_iueljgx wrote

1. Buy an appropriate fire extinguisher and/or a fire blanket. They aren't expensive. And they're designed for it.
  2. How do you start a fire just cooking? I've been an adult for 25+ years and I've never managed to do it.
  3. Any fire in the kitchen... just leave it. It's on a heatproof/fireproof surface, surrounded by non-flammable material, possibly in a sealed box (the oven). Turn the power off (my country mandates cooker switches where you can still get to them if there's something on the hob, for instance). Cover it. Wait. Like when I was at a Scout camp and a kid was frying with the pan on a grill over an open fire and it caught light (not surprising on an open fire with children cooking!) and they didn't know what to do. You know what to do? Put it back down and walk away from it. Don't carry the fire around with you like an idiot on a sitcom.
  4. Why do you use baking soda in the dishwasher? It's already in or has an equivalent in pretty much every dishwashing powder/tablet that exists.
−3

dandelionfirebird t1_iuf0d71 wrote

1. see above reasons why a fire extinguisher is a bad idea for a kitchen fire unless it’s huge

2. i accidentally started a kitchen fire at 39. Poured hot grease into a non-tempered glass jar. Broke the jar, spilled onto hot electric stovetop, instant grease fire.

3. the cupboards above the stove aren’t heat proof. Neither is the surrounding countertop.

4. baking soda sucks up stink. Good for fishy smells, and other unsavory dishes.

albundyhere t1_iuf3ija wrote

no need on my end. there's no oil or grease in my home. it has no nutritional value, so we dont cook with it. everything gets steamed or baked or cooked or grilled.

−8

Fun_Amount3063 t1_iugge6a wrote

What a sad life

−1

albundyhere t1_iuk6tuj wrote

eating healthy is a sad life? you need to get out more.

Fun_Amount3063 t1_iukaeoa wrote

That's not eating healthy, that's an eating disorder.

There isn't a single RD or CNS who would tell someone to never use fat in cooking, unless there is a very specific medical reason for it. Anyone who would is guaranteed to be trying to sell you some snake oil product they are hawking.

But I wouldn't expect any intelligent thought from someone who obsessively posts about Married with Children and bases their entire online persona around a fictional character.