Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

amberwench t1_iugg779 wrote

SO MUCH of the stuff/services they'll try to sell you at a funeral home is optional! If it doesn't comfort the living or wasn't a request of the deceased, you can skip it without guilt.

Collect all the mail, and read every bit of it. Go through wallets/purses and check for credit cards or accounts. You'll need to start the process to take ownership of them as soon as you have a death certificate. Some credit cards have life insurance, call every one and ask what, specifically, that company wants you to do to close the account and if they offer any benefits.

When a company asks for a copy of the death certificate, ask them if a regular copy will do, or does it need to be a certified copy? Certified copies are a lot more expensive! I think I ordered 8 for my mom and used every one.

Have written instructions/ a will/ acting power of attorney/ whatever suits the family's needs made in advance, or at least have a clearly written and agreed upon designated person for making choices. Yeah, it's uncomfortable to talk about, but if you love your pets/kids/house you'll want a say to prevent them from going to the pound/the aunt you hate/someone other than your wishes. When my dad died in a accident in '92 his brothers took his assets (truck, guns and bows, work equipment) leaving my mom and us 3 kids to pay for everything. When my mom died suddenly in 2008 my estranged stepfather got all the assets because they were still married and it was a 'spouse gets everything' state. In both cases just a paragraph written and signed with witnesses would have given us one leg to stand on!

moons_of_neptarine OP t1_iugovep wrote

Right! keep beneficiaries, like from work stuff, updated, too. The financial person in the office was good enough to remind me. Otherwise, if I'd gotten hit by a bus my ex would've gotten $.