Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Belnak t1_iti4p9h wrote

Or train your cats not to jump on the counters.

vcwalden t1_itit4x6 wrote

Interesting story... I I have a very good friend who has 3 very beautiful well behaved cats. She has an open concept living room, dining room and kitchen with a very large island. For a bake sale at the church she decided to bake several large pans of bars and sheet pan cakes. Since her cats were very well trained and never got up on the island, counters or dining room table she left everything out just covered with flour sack towels over night. She got up really early the next morning to get everything cut and packaged to take to the sale. When she removed the towels from the baked goods she saw kitty foot prints all over everything. It even looked like at least one of the cats had sat and laid down on one of the pans of bars!

Needless to say non of the baked goods made it to the bake sale and a very nice check was written to the church. The lady never bragged again about how well behaved her cats were and that they never got on the island, counter or dining room table!

TheMegnificent1 t1_itjum88 wrote

I've had cats most of my life. I have two right now that I raised from kittenhood after they were abandoned by their respective mothers. One of them (Mocha) is a sleek, smart hunter. The other (Latte) is a dumb, loveable, fat floof.

I absolutely do not ever allow them on the counters or tables; it's unsanitary. Latte is too dumb to remember that she's not allowed up there and will jump up anyway right in front of me, then scrabble away in shock when I start shouting at her. Mocha knows better and obediently stays away from the counters and tables. But I know perfectly damn well that she gets up there anyway when I'm gone, because she's a cat, and they don't fuckin listen.

I have a gas stove and this LPT is good advice. I'm going to look into this.

ForceOfAHorse t1_itkj3tj wrote

It's actually very rare to see pet owners taking responsibility for proper training of their animals. I think asking for World Peace is more reasonable than that.

Weisenkrone t1_itkhrc2 wrote

Our shit-gremlin takes a tour of the kitchen if she finds it open and empty.

We caught her plundering biscuits twice to this day.