Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ZenHun t1_ixzeoh6 wrote

Or you just shake hands like a normal person and don't attempt to "crush" everyone's hand? Wtf is wrong with you

cocacola999 t1_ixzi69f wrote

Yeah no idea why people even do anything other than a light shake. Also don't match their grip either. My grandmother before she died had a death grip

Cephelapod OP t1_ixzk2iy wrote

I guess I was getting more at taking your cue from their grip as an arthritis sufferer would be unlikely to squeeze harder than they could manage without pain.

SeveranceZero t1_iy2mfpk wrote

Idk, the real LPT is from a few posts above you. Check your ego at the door and just give people normal handshakes.

−1

Hotdogbrain t1_iy1iydi wrote

High school, I’m meeting my gf’s grandma for first time. She’s ancient, I’m trying to be polite so when we shake hands I go super light cause I don’t want to hurt her. Later she tells my gf I have a “limp” grip and she doesn’t trust me…yeah she was a bitch.

Everest_95 t1_iy1lj9i wrote

Was you tempted to shake her hand next time and crush it?

Hotdogbrain t1_iy1m0h3 wrote

Yeah, but luckily I only really saw/dealt with her a few times after that and didn’t bother saying anything. GF basically told me that she was just an old shrew, leave it alone.

foggy-sunrise t1_iy38exi wrote

Because generations of men have told us that a good, firm handshake is important when meeting someone new. Not sure their reasoning other than being memorable, maybe? 🤷‍♂️

0ba78683-dbdd-4a31-a t1_iy0f48x wrote

Because what's normal for a 30 year old can be agony for a 70 year old, hence this post.

Matching pressure is a key part of any good handshake.

raccoonsonbicycles t1_iy7ek18 wrote

Common thing my dad taught me was just flex your hand muscles (kinda like knife hand but cupped to shake obviously) without squeezing so they squeeze and feel a firm hand but you're not crushing them

Neiot t1_iy1lmv9 wrote

I give strong handshakes to dudes with robust hands who work in mechanics, construction, and heavy military equipment. Some of their shakes are quite the crushing kind, so it quickly became a habit to give those types of shakes in kind.

One day, I offered an older lady a handshake. Out of habit, I gave her an enthusiastic, but crushing shake. I realized my mistake during the shake because her hand was frail and limp, and I was so sorry. I felt horrible. I apologized end-on-end.