Submitted by cuevadanos t3_z7vyf4 in LifeProTips

I don't know if this can be considered common sense or not, but I'm going to say it regardless. I went to my university's library and found two shelves full of books to learn a language I want to learn (quite rare, with around 200,000 speakers). I also saw several textbooks and dictionaries of French, another language I want to learn (or, well, continue learning).

You might not be able to take the books home if you're not a student, but you can probably go and read the books at the library.

A textbook in a rare enough language can easily cost over €75 at a bookshop, but it costs €0 at the library. Run, don't walk!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

dupattaluella t1_iy8d1q9 wrote

I've seen some at my city library as well (US). And there's also the Duolingo app for people who like gamified learning, which is free to use. Lots of free resources out there for people.

foolwithabook t1_iy8hwr8 wrote

I second duolingo. I've been doing that for a couple months and have been amazed at how much I've picked up so far.

Average_guy_77 t1_iy9r9xp wrote

Duo is cool but you only get 5 wrong answers then you can't learn

foolwithabook t1_iy9s0rl wrote

You can practice for more hearts. Earns you points, too. Click on the heart in the top bar of the app.

Average_guy_77 t1_iy9s81d wrote

So much practice for just 1 more wrong answer not a fan

foolwithabook t1_iy9sy67 wrote

Fair enough. I often use it for repetition and reinforcement, since it only covers material that's already been presented (no new concepts), and the points are nice.

dupattaluella t1_iyasimq wrote

It's most likely designed with learning in mind. If you're getting a lot of wrong answers, maybe your brain needs a break. It also could be showing you shouldn't be advancing to the next stage.

When it comes to learning, your brain makes a lot of connections overnight. And if you overdo the learning, you won't remember a lot of it anyways. I've never had issues with not being able to proceed, but I also do two lessons over and over until I feel I understand it well enough to proceed since repition is a good way to establish the connections in your brain.

LurkerOrHydralisk t1_iy91121 wrote

Duolingo is a paid app, tho, unless you want 70% of your learning time to be watching ads

dupattaluella t1_iy926te wrote

So now people are complaining about free resources because they need to watch ads. 🤦‍♀️

LurkerOrHydralisk t1_iy94g55 wrote

Ads means it’s not free, it’s advertised. And the amount of ads on Duolingo is crazy. Also, there are better apps

dupattaluella t1_iy9fgtc wrote

Lol. If you don't have to give money for the product, it's free. It's like saying Pluto TV isn't free, boradcast TV isn't free, Plex isn't free, Tubi isn't free, Spotify isn't free, and so on.

Snoo58986 t1_iy9dijm wrote

Well, that's why it's a better supplement than a single source. Sometimes frustration sets in when your flashcards have an ad break

dupattaluella t1_iy9fnix wrote

I agree it's better supplemental than single source. I think everyone should be using more than an app or book. Immersion is the best way to learn a new language, but other than moving to a new country that's tough to do.

OnarbtheBold t1_iy8iyb2 wrote

Duolingo is great but the desktop version is better than the app. You don't get punished for making mistakes.

dupattaluella t1_iy8rzxj wrote

What's wrong with being punished for making a mistake? Even in Super Mario World, you lose a life if you die. It's a great way to reinforce correct understanding of the language you're trying to learn.

LurkerOrHydralisk t1_iy913jw wrote

It limits the amount of lessons you can do daily.

dupattaluella t1_iy92aqx wrote

Then don't mess up or go faster than you can learn. It's a great way to show someone they need to repeat lessons in order to solidify their understanding.

−7

LurkerOrHydralisk t1_iy94ct9 wrote

Mistakes are a part of learning.

Especially with languages, small mistakes will happen as if gets more complex. Have you ever tried learning another language?

You can right out a two paragraph response, but duo is gonna mark it wrong if you forget an accent grave on the e in après-midi

dupattaluella t1_iy9f906 wrote

As someone in adult education, I'm aware mistakes are part of learning. And having too many mistakes helps show you need to slow down and review what you've already covered as it's not sticking.

LurkerOrHydralisk t1_iy9ge28 wrote

Maybe, but three mistakes in a day’s education is not a lot. Especially when you’re giving hundreds of inputs.

dupattaluella t1_iy9h8vr wrote

For Duolingo it is. It's their app and they make the rules. If you don't like it, don't use it. It's an option you choose to use.

−2

LurkerOrHydralisk t1_iy9iqzw wrote

Now you’re just being rude and difficult.

dupattaluella t1_iy9kj1u wrote

How is it rude to state facts?

LurkerOrHydralisk t1_iy9loga wrote

Wording? You write you’re trying to admonish a child, while completely ignoring the topic at hand.

I said duo isn’t free, and it isn’t. I said mistakes happen in learning, and they do. I said 3 mistakes among hundreds of inputs is a very low failure rate, and you argued.

You’re just being intentionally difficult and argumentative. Goodbye.

dupattaluella t1_iy9m4td wrote

Lol, nope. You read my statements and implied how it was worded. I had no emotion or feeling, just stated facts...facts you didn't like to hear.

ItsWorkingOutOKish t1_iy9mbyx wrote

In the U.S., many public libraries will get you the Mango Languages app for free with your library card, or they’ll have computers in their building with Rosetta Stone for free access.

wonderbat3 t1_iyafocn wrote

Having fun isn’t hard, when you got a library card!

TJRightOn t1_iybdj15 wrote

Find a local bar that has the people of the language you want to learn. People at bars are more open to talking. They also talk slower after a few beers and it’s cheaper than a private lesson

keepthetips t1_iy8c6vw wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

OldNewUsedConfused t1_iy96pqc wrote

At least where I live, you have to be a Uni student to use their libraries. I’m in New England/ United States. We have a ton of colleges here, but have to use the Public Libraries

WaleMac t1_iyaj4vn wrote

Yeah, you right in the library you can get a lot books about what language you want to learn however you can use whatever you want to use for learning but it depends of you, because on the internet there are a lot of options to learn a new language.

brothertuck t1_iyajm7h wrote

The library is a great place for lots of things, ours is connected with a mobile app so you don't have to go to get digital books, and videos. I am sure there is language books and maybe apps you can get from there.

summertime_taco t1_iyb1kd6 wrote

If they are reading this LPT then they have the internet and it would be a massive waste of time to go to a library instead of using the infinitely more powerful resource that they are already using.

Libraries are useful for people who can't afford the internet. For everyone else they are redundant when it comes to training new skills.