Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

EarhornJones t1_j1mhums wrote

In general, if someone is passionate about something that you aren't gifts pertaining to that thing are dicey.

My wife spins wool into yarn, which she weaves on her looms, or makes into socks with her knitting machine. The number of skeins of hobby lobby yarn and Wal-Mart knitting supplies that she's gotten as gifts are staggering. She won't use any of that stuff.

I drink tea. A lot of tea. I generally get loose leaf from the tea seller in our town, and spend a fair bit of time discussing my selections with the guys that run the place. That box of Bigelow holiday sample teabags isn't going to light up my day.

We appreciate the effort and the thought, though!

murrimabutterfly t1_j1mtbgj wrote

Exactly. Never buy people things for their hobby unless they ask for it or you know the brands they use.
I craft and do make up. People are so sweet to give me supplies, but it’s never stuff I can actually use.

MiaLba t1_j1mz4j3 wrote

I get anxiety over gift gifting, I second guess everything. I’d love to pick out a nice gift for someone something they’d love and actually use.

murrimabutterfly t1_j1n9d7y wrote

Honestly, in my experience, the best gift is something personal. I try to think about conversations I’ve had with people and the experiences we’ve shared through the year, and that’s my launching off point. I actively avoid hobbies, due to not usually knowing enough to confidently gift them anything.
Like, my friend loves hedgehogs. I’ve gotten them a few different hedgehog-themed items over the years. One of the first experiences I’ve had with a new friend was at a cafe, and they ordered a taro latte just to try. They love boba and scented candles. I found a taro boba scented candle off Etsy. One of my friends has repeatedly commented on my mug hoard, so I bought them a mug similar to the one they always choose at my place.
Even if it misses, it’s still appreciated and shows you put active thought into them.
And, ultimately, your friends and family will be grateful for anything you gift them (or, should, at least).

Pigeon_Fox93 t1_j1pbybb wrote

Ooh if you haven’t done this hedgehog themed item yet there’s some people on Etsy that sell a quartz with little eyes so it looks like a hedgehog. I love hedgehogs and crystals so I think it’s just the cutest thing.

Dorkus_Mallorkus t1_j1naqkk wrote

Very good point. And if you really want to do it, get an expert opinion. I have a close coworker who is huge into expensive Scotch. I was in Scotland and felt like I had to bring him something back. I was at a loss until I thought to seek out an expert at a local bottle shop. Got a great recommendation at a reasonable price, something local and rare. Coworker was very impressed.