Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dexmonic t1_j1r3z71 wrote

I mean, how is Google supposed to know that a road is dangerous in certain weather? All it really can do is say "there is a road there and we think there may be this much traffic on it, and it might take you this long to travel it given the speed limit".

The rest is up to the driver and this whole thread is kind of surprising me. I didn't know so many people assumed Google maps was a road safety app.

Riaayo t1_j1rqvid wrote

Google maps is already at its core a convenience device of "I don't want to have to plan this / think about it, please do it for me." Which is totally fine most of the time and I'm not looking to call people lazy for using it - I use it myself.

But what I mean is the core instinct of why people use it translates very easily into the extended "I don't want to think about it, please do this for me" that can result in what you're seeing here. And when the app works for people in good weather, and is taking traffic into account? It's not that shocking that people might just assume the thing takes weather into account too. It seems to do everything else right? Why not?