Submitted by UnforgivingPoptart t3_zv2ggu in LifeProTips

Animals in shelters still need toys for stimulation, blankets, pet beds, and carriers to keep them comfortable and happy.

Most shelters take gently used items as well as new items. Just make sure your local shelter accepts them by calling or checking their website if they have one!

Edit: My illiteracy strikes again.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

westbamm t1_j1mq7ij wrote

The way you worded the topic, I thought you meant to give the ungrateful animals to the shelter.

Albionflux t1_j1mskz9 wrote

Glad im not the only one that was their first impression

pdxmetroarea t1_j1oc7ws wrote

With you on that. My take on this post was

OH MY GOD YOU MONSTER HOW COULD YOU EVEN SUGGESt... oh, that's actually a really good idea about the donating unused/gently worn toys to shelters..

OlegSentsov t1_j1n4c1q wrote

*THE TOYS THE TOYS I MEANT DONATE THE TOYS

AmbitiousStretch5743 t1_j1n6jgl wrote

Don’t like this fetch toy, boy? Cool, here’s a bag of food and a new family.

scottyboy218 t1_j1njx0e wrote

Can confirm! Started volunteering with cats at a shelter almost a year ago.

As a cat owner, I threw out so many beds/toys/scratching things over the years. After starting working at the shelter, they will 100% find a cat that's into whatever you're donating.

Even better, most shelters have a drop off spot - you can literally drive up any time of day/night to drop shit off

Beautiful_Path_3519 t1_j1mrxhc wrote

Excellent LPT, well done - drop those ungrateful little bastards off at the shelter along with their unwanted toys. That'll learn them.

Moleypeg t1_j1neeu9 wrote

He’s an ungrateful grump, but we’ve been together 12 years. I’m not surrendering him.

AlwazeRight t1_j1npr75 wrote

OK.
Fido and Puff are gone, but now what will I do with that squeaky toy and catnip?

MerberCrazyCats t1_j1pozex wrote

Try giving it to your kids and repeat the same operation

ReptileDuke t1_j1rkcgg wrote

In the end give it to your wife, if she doesn't like it and you've dumped her at the shelter, it might not be the toys but you.

gardener-of-weeden t1_j1nvrof wrote

I gave my dog a toy...he ripped it apart. I think he hated it... fluff everywhere.

hsvsunshyn t1_j1ob6ru wrote

Dogs hurt the toys they love the most.

Also, look for non-stuffing toys. They tend to be made out of more durable material, and less mess to clean up. You do have to check the toy from time to time to make sure there are not long strips that are loose.

Imsirlsynotamonkey t1_j1og68m wrote

Idk about that. The longest lasting toy for my pit is a squeaky crusaunt that she treats like a baby and cries if she makes the toy squeak lol she carries and hides it everywhere!

thatshowitisisit t1_j1nx9zi wrote

I mean, at first I wasn’t sure what on earth the animal shelter would do with them, but I guess at the end of the day, dildos are probably chewable.

SirThatsCuba t1_j1ok43j wrote

That's better than throwing away the cat. Good idea.

Smidge-of-the-Obtuse t1_j1oselk wrote

I’ve considered donating our cats, but they outnumber me and glare at me menacingly when I bring up the subject. I figure maybe I should just drop it.

RS_C187 t1_j1owesf wrote

My cat didn’t like his new climbing tree so I immediately dropped him off at the shelter.

Thanks for the tip!

keepthetips t1_j1mn3de wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

MerberCrazyCats t1_j1pou2u wrote

Just like the kids, i gave them to the shelter as well, these ungrateful little bastards

LovsickPrfectaTerain t1_j1q7zh9 wrote

Or shop at a place with a good return policy that covers this situation.